Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

LAARS MASCOT FT er44

Options
Mez
Mez Member Posts: 10
edited January 2019 in THE MAIN WALL
I have 2 units (Boilers) laars Mascot FT, one is heating 1st floor apartment, the other 2nd floor. They both were installed at the same time less than a year ago. I'm having a repeated issue with the first floor one. Everytime it gets cold the unit keeps on giving error 44, I talked to the plumber who installed it and he said it could be the wind pushing on the exhaust (both exhausts for both unit face north)
The plumber came out and oriented the exhaust pipe facing west to see if the if it helps.
It was fine for a week, then again a cold winter day 1/20/2019 in Connecticut, same issue error 44. I tried to put some wood fencing around the outside to prevent the wind from blowing straight to the exhaust but It didn't help.as the error comes back again. All this while the other unit for 2nd floor is working fine.
Please if anyone have any experience or expertise guide me through this.
Based on the troubleshooting guide, if the error persist, replace the main controller
Thank you
Gerry_P

Comments

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,974
    Options
    Is this two pipe or single pipe concentric exhaust. You might have a intermittent vent blockage or a air pressure switch that is faulty?
  • Avi
    Avi Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Mez,
    I am having exact same issue. Did you figure out the solution?
    My laars boiler is only 2 ys old. The system gets locked out(shutdown) with error code 44 every morning (twice daily when temp <35F) and i need to manually restart it again. My plumber made 7-8 visits but hasnt been able to figure out. We have replaced Air pressure sensor(APS), and main controller board last year and again this year still the same issue has started to reoccur. Already replaced APS this year again but no luck.
    megamikk
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Was a combustion analysis done with a digital analyzer? If so, what are the numbers?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Avi
    Avi Member Posts: 2
    Options
    No combustion analysis is done. My plumber only looks at the error no 44(APS fault) in LCD screen.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    A combustion analysis is required as per the installation instructions:

A 44 error code is an air pressure switch fault. That means there's something wrong in the venting. It could also be caused by something as simple as a blocked condensate drain or trap.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Jolly Bodgerkcoppfenkel
  • Mez
    Mez Member Posts: 10
    Options
    It ended up to be the control panel. We we replaced it with a new control panel and it’s working good. 
    One thing to consider, if the exhaust pipe is facing a windy side, the wind can act as a bock pushing the air back into the unit. Try to shield the exhaust from the wind without affecting air circulation.
    Mez
    Intplm.
  • Kal Row
    Kal Row Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    err 44 is also fan speed not matching what the control is calling for - lots of manufactures oem'ing the Kiturami boilers including laars, htp etc, have updated their cpu boards to be more lax on the fan speed - but there is a procedure at this link for u to adjust it,
    http://media.blueridgecompany.com/documents/Mascot_FT Fan Speed Adjustment.pdf

and sometimes u have to take it all apart and clean - the screen in the middle of the air horn, the burner mesh, the venturi, etc
    have fun..

someone in my neighborhood built an apt complex with 105 of these boilers, I'm going to be busier than the only gigolo on an all female cruise as Larry the cable guy would say...
  • Gerry_P
    Gerry_P Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I just had an error 44 on my 3 year old Mascot Combi for the first time. I rebooted and it tried to start and error 44 popped up again. I rebooted again and this time tapped on the pressure switch and it fired up. I cycled the burner off and on a few times and it's working okay.
    I'll order a new pressure switch to have on hand if it craps out again.