Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat transfer plate value

HelpInAK
HelpInAK Member Posts: 41
Got some great advice on my first post. My new construction house has staple-up radiant system with no heat transfer plates. #1 recommendation here was to get them installed. Now that I’m ready to jump in, I’m learning that aluminum is expensive, and I need a lot of it. The only online source I can find that will ship to Alaska is amazon, and by my rough calculations I can get the materials I need for roughly $1000. My concern is the fact that being military I will likely only see 4 more winters in this house. Will I see over $1000 in propane savings over 4 years by installing these plates? I live in interior alaska where temperatures are in the negatives 4-5 months a year, and my average propane use during the past couple weeks that I have been tracking (avg -10 temps) is 6-7 gallons a day. Additionally, the plates I’m considering seem to be on the low end of thickness (.016 in) compared to some plates I see on other supplier websites, which I’m assuming will limit their effectiveness. I’ve been browsing the internet for info and there seem to be some opinion (including a few older posts on this site) that transfer plates are not necessarily needed. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    Don't cut corners on this one. You will regret it.
    The thin (beer can) plates are (IMO) not a savings either...
    If you are trying to save money there are other options for your heating. You could install oversized panel radiators and then run your boiler at lower water temperatures to drive up efficiencies.
    IronmanHelpInAK
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    Rehau double tube plates are probably your best choice.

If you'll p/m me, I'll see if my supplier can ship to AK.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    kcopp
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    Think also about the next family to own the home. Not worth doing a cheap plate system, someone will pay for the life of the building in higher operating cost and possibly lower performance.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • HelpInAK
    edited January 2019
    Thanks for the replies all. @ironman I found an HVAC supply here in town that carries the rauplate for $16/4 foot section. By my rough calculations I’ll need about 658 ft,or $2640 worth of plates for the project.

Can I realistically expect to recoup the cost of this project in propane savings over the next 4 years? Would this upgrade add to the appraisal value of the home?

The same footage of the cheaper stamped aluminum plates would cost me $833. Would it be foolish to hope that my boiler can reach higher efficiency condensing temps with this budget route?

I’d definitely like to pass on a higher efficiency system to future homeowners, but if I’m only recouping 1k of the cost that is one heck of a gift.
  • hot_rod
    Check with local realtors to see if radiant is an adder on appraisals. Doubtful that you will recoup the cost that quickly. Spend money on upgrading the structure to get a better bang for your energy bucks. There may be programs to help with energy upgrades. Try DSiRE.org For database of energy programs.

Hard to put a price on ultimate comfort 🤩
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    HelpInAK
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Can you predict the price of LP over the next 4 years :) .
    Will the future owners appreciate, or consider the plates as bringing more value to the home. Maybe if they are well educated about radiant systems. Remember where you were at when you first posted, and what you have learned.

I understand your ROI concerns, but over 4 years LP. Prices could go north, or south unpredictable more so in your geographic area. I think the cost is value.
    HelpInAK
  • HelpInAK
    edited January 2019
    On a side note, amazon has extruded plates at nearly twice the thickness of the rauplates (4x thickness of stamped aluminum) for just $.08 more per foot. Is thickness king for these plates?
  • Gordy
    YES. Extruded omega style. Conduction is king!
    HelpInAK
  • Brewbeer
    Brewbeer Member Posts: 616
    The increase in efficiency can be estimated by assessing the return water temps now, and what they are expected to be with plates installed. The heavier the plate, the lower the return water temp. If you are at 150 now for return temp, and you can get that down to 110, estimated efficiency would increase from about 87% @ 150F to 94% @ 110F. A 7% increase in efficiency will save an estimated 70 bucks on a $1,000 heating bill.
    Hydronics inspired homeowner with self-designed high efficiency low temperature baseboard system and professionally installed mod-con boiler with indirect DHW. My system design thread: http://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/154385
    System Photo: https://us.v-cdn.net/5021738/uploads/FileUpload/79/451e1f19a1e5b345e0951fbe1ff6ca.jpg
    HelpInAK
  • hot_rod
    Conduction wins, surface area is also a plus.
    The tube needs to be tight in the groove.
    The entire plate needs to be tight to the floor, so installation is critical.
    I recall the Rehau being the top of a University study years back
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    HelpInAK
  • Gordy
    I look at well designed, and installed plates like insulation. The gift that keeps on giving.
    HelpInAK
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    One thing that maybe is being overlooked: isn't your tubing 3/4"? If so, IDK of anyone that offers plates for that size tubing.

Hot Rod, Gordy or any of you guys know of any manufacturer that does?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.