Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Where can I buy a bag of assorted size Jacobus vent ports?

Options
Jells
Jells Member Posts: 566
I find it frustrating that the radiator vent valves sold around here come with one port. How am I supposed to balance the rads if I have to buy a new valve for every size instead of just having a pile of ports? That's exactly what the pros have, right? I cannot find anything online other than valves that come with a full set of ports. I have enough valves! I just need ports.

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    I could have sworn that supply house had maid-o-mist that came with one valve and all the port sizes, but even so, the valves are cheap so order an assortment of the orifice sizes you need and have some spares:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Maid-O-Mist-Air-Valves-312000?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIroT88qP43wIVWMDICh1k_QXxEAAYASAAEgLdF_D_BwE
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    @Jells , you want to order the Maid-O-Mist valve Kit, # 0220-5L. It includes the vent and the 5 or 6 orifices.
    ethicalpaul
  • adasilva
    adasilva Member Posts: 144
    Options
    I've tried local suppliers around me to purchase the same items as well with no luck. I moved on to Hoffmans with much better results!
  • Jells
    edited January 2019
    Options
    > @adasilva said:
    > I've tried local suppliers around me to purchase the same items as well with no luck. I moved on to Hoffmans with much better results!

If you mean the Hoffman 1A's, I am totally done with those, I've had two bad ones. For everyone suggesting I get the Jacobus vent that comes with the full set of ports, I thought I had made clear I knew about that. I have a box of 6 extra vents already, I don't need more vents, I just need ports!

It does make me wonder if there's a market for an adjustable port to fit on these valves.
  • coelcanth
    coelcanth Member Posts: 89
    Options
    the MoM valves available online comes with not one but six ports.. even though you have to buy the valve too, at a cost of $2 per orifice with a free valve, how much cheaper could they get ? you could even drill out the extra orifices yourself or make a custom size if larger was what you needed
    ethicalpaul
  • adasilva
    adasilva Member Posts: 144
    Options
    > @Jells said:
    > > @adasilva said:
    > > I've tried local suppliers around me to purchase the same items as well with no luck. I moved on to Hoffmans with much better results!
    >
    > If you mean the Hoffman 1A's, I am totally done with those, I've had two bad ones. For everyone suggesting I get the Jacobus vent that comes with the full set of ports, I thought I had made clear I knew about that. I have a box of 6 extra vents already, I don't need more vents, I just need ports!
    >
    > It does make me wonder if there's a market for an adjustable port to fit on these valves.

No the Hoffman 40s seem to be doing the job just fine for me compared to the mom's
  • Fred
    Options
    @Jells , if you don't want to buy more Maid-O- Mist valves and you don't like that they don't sell the orifices separately and you don't like the Hoffman 1A's , that leaves you with Vent-Rite #1. They are great adjustable vents. The last few posts you have put on this site seem to be a little sharp tongued towards those who are only trying to help you. These people are not obligated to try and help and get no compensation for doing so. How about we try to be a little more appreciative?
    adasilva
  • Jells
    Options
    Sorry Fred if you feel that way, I know you're only trying to help. When I'm getting the hell beat out of me by this stuff and ask questions, I hope to get useful info, not speculative answers from people not familiar at all with the equipment I'm asking about even though the question is specifically directed to the users of such, or people who don't read the question and give me an answer I accounted for in my OP.

That said, I'll take a look at the Vent-rite 1, thanks. After bad experiences with the Vari-vent (flooded 2 apartments when a helpful tenant turned the fill valve on the boiler) and one Hoffman 1A failing intermittently and the other outright, I admit to be cautious.
  • Fred
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I understand your frustration. I just think there may be different expectations from individual to individual but that doesn't mean we need to lash out at anyone. This thread is a perfect example. The Maid-O-Mist is a variable vent. The design is different from the Hoffman or Vent-Rite vents. Maid-O-Mist designed their ability to vary venting by allowing the user to change orifices while Hoffman designed theirs to allow users to turn the top cap and Vent-Rite by allowing the user to turn a wheel at the bottom of the vent. None of them ever intended to provide users the option to buy parts and pieces that would undermine the sales on their flagship product, the vent itself. Why would they do that, unless they charged as much for a set of orifices as they charge for the complete kit? At that point no one would order the orifice pack and feel they got a deal when buying the complete kit at the same cost. Human nature is strange.
  • Jells
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Thing is, any plumber has a bag full of MoM orifices they've accumulated, its only us amateurs who are scrambling. I may just pull out a piece of brass rod and throw it on my lathe to make my own. Wouldn't be the 1st time I wasted my valuable time just to spite a company that could not care less. Probably 5 minutes to make one assuming I have the right thread die, at $2 apiece that's making $40/hr, right?
  • Fred
    Options
    Nope, at $2.00 a piece, that would be $24.00/hr. @ 5 minutes each.
    The plumbers have them by the bag because they took all the spares from unsuspecting and/or unknowing customers.
  • Mike Cascio
    Mike Cascio Member Posts: 143
    Options
    The ventrite 1 is an excellent vent. Also the Dole 1A was an excellent vent, unfortunately it is no longer made. I like the ventrite no11, it is slightly faster than a hoffman 40 but not as fast as a gorton/maid o mist 5.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    In this case, it is the plumber to blame for your lack of extra orifices, and not Maid-O-Mist. Why not give the plumber a call, and ask him to return them?
    Are you sure you have enough main venting?--NBC
    adasilva
  • Jells
    Options
    > @nicholas bonham-carter said:
    > Are you sure you have enough main venting?

Nick I think you should just add that as your signature line! :p

Yes I solved my radiator problem (knock on wood) by replacing the bad Hoffman with the MoM, initially with a d port. Now I'm looking to dial it back so they don't broil or open windows. I had already swapped out the Gorton 2 for a big mouth on that line, even though venting doesn't seem to have ever been the problem. My cool new Bluetooth thermometers show that farthest from the boiler radiator getting heat nearly simultaneously with the rad in the room with the thermostat.
  • ethicalpaul
    Options
    Is it possible you misunderstood the posts where we were talking about the MoM one that comes with, yes, a single vent that we fully understand you don’t need, but also it comes with every orifice??

In any case good luck to you
  • Jells
    Options
    > @ethicalpaul said:
    > Is it possible you misunderstood the posts where we were talking about the MoM one that comes with, yes, a single vent that we fully understand you don’t need, but also it comes with every orifice??

From my OP:

> @Jells said:
    I cannot find anything online other than valves that come with a full set of ports. I have enough valves! I just need ports.
  • ethicalpaul
    edited January 2019
    Options
    You got me LOL can I send you a #5 and a #6? I have extras of those