Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

vertical traps and pleasing the boss

Grallert
Grallert Member Posts: 708
Good morning. I'm attempting to please the new director of finance and operations, My boss. She has a steam convector running through her office and it hammers. I'm not sure if this is new or existing as the previous F&O made no mention of it though I do believe this basement office has been noisy to some extent. This zone is a two pipe pumped return with Macon thermostatic valves. The trap is a Hoffman 17c vertical. Oddly it's installed on the horizontal. I'll replace the capsule but in my mind this orientation is wrong. Am I wrong? It would be easy enough to replace it with a proper trap but before I start reworking past work I'd like to be sure. Any advice would be great. Thanks as always.
Peace
Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,986
    If that trap is oriented with the angle trap body up, it might be OK. Then again... it could be holding enough water to hammer. How's the convector pitch itself?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Grallert
  • Grallert

If that trap is oriented with the angle trap body up, it might be OK. Then again... it could be holding enough water to hammer. How's the convector pitch itself?

The pitch could be better I haven't put a level on it though. My guess is the trap was installed because of the slight pitch, a proper trap would require some repiping at the valve end. That's easy enough. I think the trap is holding some water and not seating fully. I wont know until Monday first AM when the office is empty. I guess that the trap might be ok but not correct if you know what I mean.
  • Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    A vertical trap installed horizontally will allow condensate pooled in the body to subcool the element. Not working as it should.

Best to just pipe in a horizontal trap at this point.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
    Grallert
  • Grallert
    Sailah said:

A vertical trap installed horizontally will allow condensate pooled in the body to subcool the element. Not working as it should.

Best to just pipe in a horizontal trap at this point.

Thanks Sailah. I'm going to go ahead and repipe the convector with a horizontal trap. Than I'm going to have a look at all the other traps on this level. Thanks again