Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Crown BSI Steam boiler - no movement in glass guage and needs water every 3-4days

I will appreciate all help. This is a 7 year old steam boiler. Heats a small 1200 sq ft home with a total of 8 radiators.

It needs water every 3-4 days. Also when its running, there is very little noticeable movement of water in the guage glass and the pressure guage is almost at Zero.

Checked all raditors and vents and there seems to be NO water leak. All returns are above ground so nothing underground.

There is a Big main vent on the main line. It hisses VERY LOUDLY. I wonder if its losing steam. The area around this vent is bone dry though.

Can you experts give me pointers in why its losing water? My understanding is that the boiler shall not loose water every 3-4 days.

Crown boilers have 12 years warranty. Shall I call them, will they come check?

All Advise appreciated..

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Do you see any steam coming out of the chimney when the boiler is running? If not:
    Shut the boiler down and let it cool for a while, then fill it up to the boiler riser and see if it spills water onto the floor. It could have a hole in it above the boiler water line.
  • NJ_Ho_3422
    NJ_Ho_3422 Member Posts: 5
    No steam coming form chimney. Boiler is new.. Just 8 years old. There is a big Main valave, and when i put a tissue paper around it it was completely wet. Is this normal for main valve to vent steam ... why did the tissue paper got wet?
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542

No steam coming form chimney. Boiler is new.. Just 8 years old. There is a big Main valave, and when i put a tissue paper around it it was completely wet. Is this normal for main valve to vent steam ... why did the tissue paper got wet?

No, not normal. Replace that vent with something large enough to properly vent a Main. For the money, a Barnes and Jones Big Mouth is the best investment. Show a picture of what is on there now.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    And while you are it, check your pressures...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England