Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam System not pressuring up

I replaced almost all the steam traps for the radiators in my house. There’s like 4 left in the house. Those radiators heat but not super hot. Is it possible those traps leak and that’s why I am not seeing any pressure build up? I installed a brand new low pressure gauge and to test it I plugged off the main line vents for a short period to see if I would then build pressure and I did. After unplugging the pressure went back down and has not increased since. The boiler runs until the thermostat is satisfied. The cutout pressure is never achieved.

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    You don’t want pressure. Building pressure means you are heating less efficiently.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    DIYSteam
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Yup your fine

Many on this site like low pressure gages and low pressure controls (vapor stats)

Their fine
    But
    In a house home heating system you do NOT want to build steam pressure. If your boiler runs and heats the house and builds no steam and vents quickly that is a perfect system. You don't need pressure. You can put a low pressure gage on the boiler if you want add it to the 0-30 psi gage you have and make sure your pigtails on the pressure control and gage are clean.

Never mind the pressure unless it's too high. You need to decide if your house is heating evenly and then go from their

There is too muck talk about building pressure. It leads many to think there is something wrong if they don't have pressure.
    DIYSteamethicalpauladasilva
  • DIYSteam
    DIYSteam Member Posts: 12
    KC and Ed thanks so much!