Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pipe bath after the machine thread?

GW
GW Member Posts: 4,692
We generally just wipe the pipe and try and get some rag material inside the pipe after we thread. Anyone have a concoction to dunk their new thread into a bucket of cleaner solution? CLR?
Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,276
    Brake cleaner... in a spray can.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    1Matthias
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,060
    Some piping added to an old steamer with no port for skimming. I used a 5 gallon bucket with hot water and Dawn DW detergent. Even brushed the inside. Then rinse well with hot water. I used the DHW drain valve for hot water source.
    They get the bonus of flushing the bottom of the tank....otherwise it would never get done.
  • Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    At the Steam Dream Team job we used Brake Kleen after it was threaded followed by a wipe and then dunked in soapy water. That seemed to really clean off a lot of the oil.

We also only used the Ridgid spray oil, seemed to do well. And yeah I knocked over the oil pan so that may have something to do with it ;)
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
  • 1Matthias
    1Matthias Member Posts: 148
    Green can CRC brake cleaner if I'm not near any plastics. The green "50 state" formula is essentially acetone in a spray can, and will destroy plastics. Red can when I'm near plastics but not high temps. It's essentially chlorinated dry cleaning solvent. (Red can + fire/high temps = Bad, bad things, Phosgene included.)
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Cool ideas thanks
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com