Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Work boots?

Options
Gordy
Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
What’s your favorites. Brand, and model?
200 bucks doesn’t get much anymore.....

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Have had Red Wings for most of 40 years.
    Prices went from 125 to 250.
    Steel toes and shanks. Model 2406 currently.
    This brand quality may have slipped a bit but still pretty good.
    A pair would last easy 2-3 years, 6-7 days a week with no care what ever. Even had a pair long enough for the sole to wear almost thru to the ball of the foot.
    Don't recall even having to replace the laces on any of my 20 or so pairs. The only issue was with an insulated pair separating the upper from the sole.
    Tried cheaper a couple times but feet would ache as they lost their support in less than a year.

It was pointed out that you spend 1/3 of your life in bed, spend for a good mattress, (got Sleep Number, king size).
    Another 1/3 or more on your feet in foot wear....again spend for the better boot.
    And now the other 1/3 or less spent on the Wall in stocking feet :)
    Rich_49Larry WeingartenRobert O'Brien
  • icy78
    icy78 Member Posts: 404
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Keen Boots. Steeltoe altho I'd rather wear composite toe, as I'm outside a good bit. The shoestore has repeatedly told me composite toe is unavailable. I never thought to goog it. WTH , they should know, right? So last week a co worker shows up with electrical rated composite toe Keens. Said hes worn them for 3 years! ( 3 pairs)
    We have to buy a new pair every year.
    Very comfortable but Ive removed the cheap insole and have 200 dollar orthodics slid in there. So thats part of it.
    Pretty much all i wear. 10 hour workdays, plus Saturdays and most of Sundays.

MADE IN AMERICA ....to boot (pun intended)🙂
  • SeanBeans
    SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
    Options
    My feet were allergic to the last pair of red wings I owned.

It started with 3 tiny marks on my right big toe and I didn’t think anything of it.

Fast forward a few month of walking 5-7 miles a days at a new construction site and the rash started spreading all over my feet and onto my legs...

Lots of lotion and new boots mostly cured it.

Now I wear Keens just because I’m running device and they are comfy and not too hot!
  • MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 490
    Options
    I prefer the Johnston & Murphy Rutledge boot. Well made, comfortable, sturdy sole without deep tread, and, I can usually find them on sale for about $ 120.00.....
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    I've been wearing Carolina 6" CA5521 composite toe for a few years now. Light weight. Very comfortable. I have a 4" surgical screw up through my right heel so I need good lateral support and they hold up well. Most homes I visit have pea gravel driveways and the soles dont pick them up.
    They wont break the bank either.
    GroundUp
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,536
    Options
    have been using Carolina composite toe for a few years and liked them till my toes started bothering me. To much kneeling down and the composite was bothering my toes. between that and bad knees I was hurting

Using Timberland Pro now. No steel or composite toe. There OK, much better

My problem also if finding something that fits. You find your size in one shoe or boot and it doesn't always translate to a different brand.

Have spent$$$ on expensive boot that didn't work out make me skittish to change or look for something better
    Gordy
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited January 2019
    Options
    ^Precisely why I’m polling the collective.

200 dollars does not correlate to a great boot anymore.

I’m lucky to get 6 months out of a pair no matter the brand.

I’ve had thorogood which I wasn’t impressed by.
    Irish setters which we’re comfortable, but soles didn’t last.
    Redwings 945 or 914 can’t remember. Best boot for comfort, but had sole separation issues. Then they changed soles to a harder rubber which ruined the comfort. Now that boot is discontinued.

Went to the local redwing to give it a try again. Had to walk out. Wasn’t a boot there I felt confident I would be happy with for comfort, and longevity for 250.00.

Pretty hard to find a boot that is comfortable, and the uppers, and soles last. A boot that is recraftable as a sales pitch is not desirable to me usually I wear the toes out by the time the soles are trashed, or will be wore out by the time the next sole wears out, and it’s near half the price of the new boot to recraft. Then you are with out boots.

Made in USA means much to me also. Which has a whole new meaning now.

Thinking about giving Danners a whirl. Pricey
  • Mike_Sheppard
    Mike_Sheppard Member Posts: 696
    Options
    I’ve been wearing this same pair for almost 3 years now. I’ve replaced the padding in them twice. No rips, no tears.

Steel toe. Lightweight. The material around the steel toe doesn’t wear off over time. Every pair of Red Wings I’ve ever owned rub the leather off of the steel toe after about a month.

Picture attached. 3 years old. They’re wet at the moment from being in the snow. Definitely worn but can’t complain after the amount of time and work I have put in them (658.5 hours of overtime in 2018).

https://www.catfootwear.com/US/en/inherit-pull-on-steel-toe-work-boot/17931M.html?dwvar_17931M_color=P90478
    Never stop learning.
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 884
    Options
    I have a summer (uninsulated) and a winter (insulated) pair of Chippewas. Not loggers but good tread. I really like them, again pricey but worth it to get 3-4 years out of each pair. I have never tried red wing or the like, but would be willing to.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Options
    The only pair that I can find that are comfortable when kneeling and such is By Cabelas, Meindl boots. Also the only boot that I have purchased the same 2x in a row. Comfortable right out the gate, pretty good longevity also which is a plus.
    D
  • nibs
    nibs Member Posts: 511
    Options
    Kinda reminds me of the "what make of van" thread,which devolved into what kinds on hanky panky could happen in the van.
    Sooo what kind of hanky panky goes on while you are waring boots???
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,536
    Options
    Can't remember what I paid for the Timberland Pro 120?. I don't consider them the best boot availabile but there ok and more$$$ doesn't work for me..............been stuck too many times. Has Red Wings once hated them
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,908
    Options
    I was a 6" RedWing guy for 20 years. Tried cheaper alternatives in between just because, but seldom got more than 9 months out of anything. Hated Danners, Setters didn't fit my little pigeon feet, Cats had a bald sole within a month, couldn't find anything that worked decent. The last 3 pairs of RedWings I had were in the dumpster before they were even broken in, soles were falling off and sides were cracked through, none more than 4 months old. Switched to a 6" Carolina finally after some jabbing from a friend, and 3 years later I'm still wearing those boots 12+ hours a day 5 days a week. Soles are bald, but they're like a velvet glove on my feet and I will never own anything else if they keep this style of boot. Made in America and $240
    347 Member Posts: 143
    Options
    Red Wing 606 with a semi hard coating done in the store. This is my second pair. The 1st ones I had the the extra toe protection lasted me over two years. Soles wore out after year and a half Red Wing put new ones on at a very low cost. I feel they are well worth the $240
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    edited January 2019
    Options
    For as long as I can remember I have used Chippewa Men's 29416. Best boots ever. I get many, many years from each pair. But looks like they are discontinued?

Not sure what I would do without them. Just found last pair in my size and ordered them. Sad...

Or just out of stock? Let us hope...
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Options
    I have some Keens I got from when I worked in an industrial plant. Working well so far. For good. Held up,well. Not too heavy. Good traction.