Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mixing valve

Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
On my radiant floor I have a mixing valve, no water is going thru it. Can I take it off, and soak it under some simple green to clean it, or am I waiting my time?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    I doubt that simple green will do much to it. Vinegar might, if it is scaled up.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Intplm.
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,888
    What kind of mixing valve? How is it piped? What kind of heat transfer fluid?
  • Snowmelt
    Acme mixing, on a boiler. Just mixing down to 120 ....
    The line wasn’t warm enough so I went to bleed the air out. The water wouldn’t even push the air out. It was just dead.
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,880
    Vinegar does work. I have found that it will ,at best, buy you some time before you need to soak it again.
    Depending on what type of mixing valve you have, you might be able to rebuild it in place with a "rebuild kit.".
  • Snowmelt
    I forgot about rebuilding it, thanks for the little bit of info.
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,888
    What kind of mixing valve? Acme makes several different models. How is it piped? If you can't push air or water out of a union it's probably got nothing to do with the mixing valve
  • Snowmelt
    I have it set up like are everyday , hot from the supply - cold on the return and mix going up to the pump. I’m almost positive that the valve is. https://www.cashacme.com/product/hg110-hx/
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    Sometimes there are screens on the inlets, built into the tailpieces to protect the valve an any checks in the valve. Check them. It would need to be 100% plugged with sludge to not pass any water? as one port closes, the other opens, it can never shut off 100%.

Got enough pump? Be sure it is actually spinning.
    Check for strainers in other locations
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Snowmelt
    what i did was try to purge the system and only the initial water that was in the return came out ( water from the other zones filling up the air gap, that was it . )
    I do have enough pump
  • Snowmelt
    hey all I took the mixing valve apart and there was a screen on the mix part that wouldn't let any water in, i cleaned it out ( took me 5 minutes) put it back in and re tightened the unions, purged the air- now it works again
    kcoppknotgrumpy
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    Think horses...not zebras.