Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Smart TRV

Options
2»

Comments

• twix
    twix Member Posts: 17
    Options

From the website, it looks like it's made to attach to hot water radiators, not steam. The higher temperatures may be a problem. I would not be comfortable putting a battery next to a steam radiator like that.

Also that reflector you have behind the rad was designed for hot water not steam. I spoke with a company that makes those, and they never tested it for that application. Aluminum foil is just as effective.

Sorry to be such a downer.

Is there a type of wall reflector you would suggest besides aluminum foil? Seems very hacky to just roll out kitchen foil against the wall..
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,189
    Options
    Composites and polymers. Don’t hear the word plastic as much😂
    Many many blends are possible with polymers. We use a blend of nylon and glass for most products.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • random12345
    random12345 Member Posts: 469
    Options
    Some use a piece of cardboard cut to size and wrap the aluminum foil around that. I used a piece of craft wire from home depot and straightened it out with a drill and used that as a frame that I can wrap the foil around. Sealed pieces of foil together with aluminum flue tape. This study found aluminum foil is by the far the most cost effective way to reflect infrared light at the wavelengths emitted by a steam radiator:

https://sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2215017X1930373X

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,724
    Options
    I've thought about it but haven't put anything behind my radiator because I think it looks horrible.

To me the cosmetics of the cast iron radiators are a big part of why I have them.  

The closest I've come is glass mirrors with wood trim around them.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,358
    Options
    One minor (?) comment. Get the system balanced as well as you possibly can with the venting. Then, if you still need help, try a TRV. But if you don't get the venting balanced first, you are just papering over the problem.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Waher
    Waher Member Posts: 252
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Reflective foil insulation is perfectly fine to use behind steam radiators as long as it is not in direct contact with the radiators or pipes (otherwise it may melt).

Reflectix, inc. only shows hot water radiators in their product literature, but there's no reason why they can't be used with steam radiators other than the manufacturer not wanting liability for a surface hotter than 180F accidently coming into contact with their product.