Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Yet another boiler cleaning thread!

Options
Jells
Jells Member Posts: 566
So, I was a bit negligent to my boiler, new in 2012, and didn't skim it or drain it much after it was installed. The installer, former forum member Jstar, dropped out of residential work so was not available for regular maintenance. Anyway, I seem to be having trouble with the low water cutoff. I was getting mysterious burner shut downs, and have noticed the water was low several times and manually filled it. I just ran into a plumber I often use in the store and he said dump some cleaner in, and if that doesn't work he'll take a look.

So I bought a can of Squik, and have more questions than answers. The directions seemed to say dump it in and walk away. Done except for draining out precipitate sometime later. The maker of Squick doesn't even have their directions online!! Real old school. Threads here are all over the place, from recommending TSP to just skimming and draining. So there's that. There was a fair bit of goo on the skim plug and inside the pipe, so I'd guess there's a fair bit of goo on the fill sensor. Shouldn't I just be pulling it and cleaning it off to get a 'clean start'?

Another really stupid question is whether there's a wrong place to dump the stuff in. I seem to have a 3/4 capped off nipple in the back here that would be convenient, and much easier to use than the relief valve where I'd have to cut off the copper. But my knowledge of boiler anatomy is not so confident to be absolutely sure using it was OK.

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    What does the rest of the piping look like?
    Top to bottom.
  • Jells
    Options
    JUGHNE said:

What does the rest of the piping look like?
    Top to bottom.

Why? Lucky I had a shot I took some other time.

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    Don’t put anything in it. As far as I know Squick is intended for oils, that’s not your problem. If you have crud causing issues you flush that out with draining and filling.

The LWCO should be pulled, cleaned and verified to work yearly.

If you used Jstar that means NJ so if I was you I would call @Dave0176 or @EzzyT both are great with steam.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Good looking drop to oversized header. Even a skim tap.
    Carry on with skimming after draining the bottom crud out.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,549
    edited December 2018
    Options
    TSP and boil it out I like Dan's instructions in LAOSH for skimming works every time. I stick to TSP (no lye) and it seems to do a good job. Low water cutoff should be removed , cleaned and reinstalled especially after 6 yrs
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    What an odd installation. But at least there's a skim port valve installed. That suggests a skimming was performed at some point.
    Your "mysterious boiler shutdowns" are an intended function of the low water cut off you've got there and are notorious for driving techs and troubleshooters crazy.
    I have a shop in Essex County, NJ, and yes, @Dave0176 and @EzzyT are fantastic heat guys.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Jells
    Options
    JohnNY said:

Your "mysterious boiler shutdowns" are an intended function of the low water cut off you've got there and are notorious for driving techs and troubleshooters crazy.

If they're notorious I wonder why no one suggested it was a culprit the last time I raised this issue, rather than telling me I needed a tech with a combustion meter? Is the unit designed for frequent service, or do both AC cables need to be disconnected to unscrew it from the port?