Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

vintage coal feeder, looking for info

Options
ch4man
ch4man Member Posts: 296
found this in a basement floor. home owner says the house is around 100 years old.
I find this old stuff fascinating. anyone have any insight?

ps , im not good at uploading pictures. i think

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Is the triangle shaped part removeable?
    How about the circle with 4 holes in it?

My first guess is a damper for air control for the coal fire. But under/in the floor?

Reminds me of something that Indiana Jones or Dan Brown would be interested in. :)
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    When I was a kid, we had a similar device that was mounted about 3 feet up a door casing, just above the only large central floor register in the house, which had a gravity hot air coal furnace in the basement. Your turned the dial to a number and that told you how far the damper was open.. That device had a looped chain that went through it, to the damper.
    Danny Scully
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Options
    DId some googling search. WM Sharpe made boilers. THeres a reference to a ash collections system. That would makes sense to have it under the floor. Wonder if that is near a wall and there’s a collection point outdoors. Not sure what the adjustment does. Maybe sets a opening size to the hopper. Or combustion air was fed from that point, maybe used outside air to keep from drawing air from the basement.
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    edited December 2018
    Options
    FOUND IT!

Wowzer! This thing was quite the contraption. Its an ash receiving device. I think some of it might not be missing or there a LOT more under the floor.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US946469A/en

• ch4man
    ch4man Member Posts: 296
    Options
    Wow, thanks Mike, I knew this group of guys would come through..

every day I learn how much I dont know.........