Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What type of pipe to use on the gas steam boiler?

Options
Ying
Ying Member Posts: 58
Hi all, recently had a cast iron radiator replaced with a new one, about 3 days ago, and it looks like there is oil when looking at the water sight glass.

Reading on the wall sugguests skimming the boiler. My burnham boiler does not have a skim port, so I'm thinking about skimming via the pressure relife valve pipes by installing a few new pipes there, since that seem to be the best advice after searching on the wall.

My question is what type of pipe should I use? Black or galvanized steel? For the whole thing, tee elbow and nipple? or mix and match?

Also want to replace the drain valve at the bottom of the boiler. It will leak every time I flush out some dirty water then stop after the boiler has run for a while. My guess is that rust and other dirt clogged up the little gap.

The drain valve that's in the boiler is about 3 inches long and brass valve at homedepot are very short/small, I will need to put in a 3-4 in pipe nipple to extend it then put in the valve. What material pipe do I use here? Black steel to brass or galvanized steel to brass.

1st picture below is pipes that connects the pressure relife valve and second is the drain valve.

Thanks.

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    You should be able to get a long boiler drain valve at a plumbing supply. They will be brass.
    As for the nipple/Tee on the Pressure Relief tapping coming out of the boiler, use black steel. Galvanized will flake and may clog the PRV, over time.
  • Ying
    Options
    Thanks Fred, black steel it is.

As for the drain, only saw brass ones with a long shank by the water heater section with them stating for water heaters. Will those work on the steam boiler give the difference in temperature and maybe difference in pressure.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    They may or may not, depending on the temp rating on the packing material. Do you really need the long neck valve on the boiler drain? What is on there looks like a water heater drain that someone may have put on there, as a replacement. and may drip because it is exposed to steam. Since you are going to have to drain the boiler to replace that valve anyway, you can just replace the packing and washer rather than replace the entire valve, if you want.
    Most boilers come with a standard boiler drain valve. When I said a Plumbing shop, I meant a real Plumbing Supply, not one of the big box stores that only stock a very limited array of products.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,627
    Options
    There's also supplyhouse.com. They don't have any issues selling to homeowners, & at least where I'm at I can get same-day delivery.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    I have not had any problem using 3/4" ball valves with hose adaptor on the outlet.
    This gives you a full drain size to pass solids.
    Any boiler drain of globe design has a very small opening that will drain water but clog easily.
    Even better would be a brass nipple between the boiler and ball valve IMO.
    If you go with the ball valve get the best quality available. Full port is best.
  • Ying
    Options
    Thanks guys, will try to find a pluming store or might just try online for the drain valve as it does not need to be replace immediately.

I suppose I can use a regular boiler drain valve, just thought it will be easier to catch the water on a longer shank, as I flush about a pint of drity dark water weekly till the water draining is relatively clean.