Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Ignition transformer

I have. Franceformer on my AF15 Beckett oil burner . I’m getting smoke drifting up from the air ports on the oil pump side . The entire bottom of the ignition xfmr is wet and also the wiring trough. My question is are the ignition xfmr’s oil filled because all the checking and observation I have done this seems to be the only answer. Thanks for reading

Comments

• Jamie HallJamie Hall Posts: 10,031Member
    Some, at least, are. The real question then is... how old is this transformer? If it's old enough, there may be a question of PCBs...
    Jamie

Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England.

Hoffman Equipped System (all original except boiler), Weil-Mclain 580, 2.75 gph Carlin, Vapourstat 0.5 -- 6.0 ounces per square inch
  • EBEBRATT-EdEBEBRATT-Ed Posts: 5,306Member
    Could be the transformer but I doubt it
    . It would have quit by know.
    The burner and boiler are probably plugged up, back drafting or a fouled up firing head or end cone. You need a professional to look at this before the problem gets worse
  • STEVEusaPASTEVEusaPA Posts: 2,720Member
    If you’re saying the whole housing has fuel oil in it, I think your fuel pump may be bad, seals leaking, or some other leak.
    If the transformer is smoking or 'smocking' as our president tweets, then that’s a different issue, then you shouldn’t run it at all.
    There’s no oil in a transformer. There is tar in there.
    Any reason why you haven’t had a competent tech come out to diagnose it?
    steve