Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help with motor/pump on water boiler

Hello. First time poster. I purchased a used boiler and the motor was taken apart. I was given some pieces to piece it back together but can’t figure it out. The the picture of the silver brackets is all I have. I’m not entirely sure these brackets even go to this motor but that’s what I was given. Questions I have:

Is this fixable?
If not, can I use a different motor? I have another inoperable boiler with a motor on it. Photos of the silver motor.

Hopefully my pictures work. And thank you for helping!

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited December 2018
    The silver things in your hand are the pump coupling-from motor shaft to impeller shaft. It may not be broke. They make different types. It's a little tricky to get that back on correctly with the set screw in the dimple, but not impossible. The next 2 photos show one piece of an old one on the impeller, and one piece on the motor shaft, both removable by removing the set screw.
    Usually when you replace the coupling, you also replace the motor mounts.
    If it were me, I'd replace the whole shebang with a Taco 007e circulator with isolation flanges and be done with it.

You can go to Bell & Gossett's web site. I think there is a video that shows you how to rebuild a pump and rebuild the impeller. But it's not a job for the inexperienced, and you probably won't find parts readily available. I took a look at the video, and decided to put that many parts back together perfectly, was going to take way more time than just replacing the circulator.
    Plus, it may not work anyway when your done, in which case you wasted all that time to try to save a little bit of money.

That circulator uses alot of energy, the Taco, very little. With the exception of a very distinct use case, almost no one would put that B&G circ on a new system.
    steve
    delta TZman