Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat options for small cottage

Gplace
Gplace Member Posts: 10
I own a 350 sq foot, one-bedroom cottage in Colorado Springs. Currently there is a full-sized water heater and full-sized furnace. I would like to free up space to install a washer/dryer, so one of these needs to go to make space.

What options do I have as far as heating goes? I don't want to do electric baseboard because the rooms are small and it is difficult not to have furniture against the walls.

The cottage is shaped like a T.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,275
    When you say small, you do mean it. How well insulated is this building? And just how even do you need the heat to be in it?

For a space this small, I'd probably go with a wall/floor mounted direct vent lp gas fired room heater like one of these: https://www.rinnai.us/taxonomy/term/3241

With the realization that the room it was in would be the warmest...

Do your heat loss to get some idea of which one would work for you -- and I very much suggest professional installation.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    kcoppGordySolid_Fuel_Manrick in Alaska
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,945
    Do you have a exposed basement?

I'm thinking you do not. So radiant heat is out of the question. Electric radiant is a possibility.

If your looking to just gain some room for your laundry? Then you can do away with the free standing water heater and install a tankless water heater. You can hang one on the wall almost anywhere in that cottage.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    If this is seasonal use I’d go with a direct vent heater like Jamie said. It gives quick recovery. Just size it for the recovery from which you intend to keep the temp when vacant. Maybe a small pellet stove while there to run.
  • Gplace
    There is no basement. It is on a slab. I believe it is pretty well insulated, the furnace keeps it plenty warm.
  • Gplace
    Hit "return" too soon.

What about a unit that has AC too, like a mini-split or one of the units I see in hotels? Are those even a possibility? It is easier to access the closet with the furnace than the one with the water heater.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Usage pattern would be helpful. Summer, winter. Weekends?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,275
    If you want AC now, in addition, that's a new ballgame. And more expensive, both the install and to maintain. But yes, a minisplit or through the wall heat pump would probably work, and there are any number of models and configurations. You need to consider your design minimum temperature and check to see that the unit chosen will, in fact, work at that temperature.

But only if you want AC for some reason. Otherwise, I'll stick with my original simple suggestion.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Is there attic space over this cottage? If so, the furnace could be installed up there and AC added to it, using the existing ductwork with little modification. The existing furnace may be able to lay on its side for an attic installation, if it is in good condition.
  • The water heater could go in the attic as well, if the roof is well insulated.—NBC
  • Gplace
    Sadly, no Attic, the cottage is rented year round. I am considering making it a furnished traveling nurse rental because it is within walking distance to a hospital. In-unit would be needed.