Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Electric Furnace Blowing Cold - Fuse Link Needs Replacement?

Options
nov4cane
nov4cane Member Posts: 2
edited December 2018 in THE MAIN WALL
Hey everyone,

After a lot of research and testing I think I've found why my electric furnace is blowing cold air, but I wanted to verify with the community.

My electric furnace stopped blowing hot air recently and I found that the cause of the issue was likely due to a really dirty (should have been replaced) air filter. I replaced the filter, left it off for over an hour, tried power cycling, and it still blew cold air.

Checked the continuity on the thermodisc limit-switch (it was good) and on the coils themselves (good as well). Then I noticed what I believe is the Fuse Link seemed to have a part fallen off. I believe this is due to it overheating from trying to pull through a dirty filter. (or maybe it just fell off? I'm not 100% sure how these work)

Here's an album with images of what I described: https://imgur.com/a/yL8Ul3x

Am I correct that if I replace this fuse link, it should fix the issue?

UPDATE: Fuse Link (SL075B) definitely was the issue, and the disgusting filter blocking airflow is certainly what caused it to blow. After replacing both, the heater has been up and running perfectly.

Comments

• neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    looking at it from here I would say you're correct,
    replace the link and see what she does,
    if you careful and crafty you might even open the crimps and land that link back in there for tonight.
    known to beat dead horses
    nov4cane
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Does your meter say that the power is stopping there?
    Those usually have air pressure or sail switch to prevent this scenario. You might look for one and add one if you don't presently have one.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    nov4cane
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    Fuse links are the "last line" of defense. Not enough airflow on an electic heating element is bad. If your meter is telling you that the electric elements are still ok then count your blessings and replace the fuse link with the proper one. Keep the air filter clean and the blower and blower motor up to snuff. Don't rely on the safety controls to save your unit. If you do it will fail before it's time. Also shut the power down and inspect the heating elements even if you have to pull them out. If the filter was dirty the elements could be covered with dirt/dust
    nov4cane
  • nov4cane
    nov4cane Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Alright, I'll replace the fuse link and report back if it was indeed the solution. Appreciate the speedy replies from everyone :)