Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Strapping copper for heat

Options
nickybotz
nickybotz Member Posts: 27
Wats the best approach for strapping copepr Pipes to wood rafter I'm going to be dropping the celling that is going over it so can I just strap to the bottom of joists with copper straps or use another method for expansion
Maybe kindorff and rubber insulated Kindorff straps or those Mickey mouse clips

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,072
    Options
    How hot will the pipe get?
    If the copper is not installed yet, I would slip good grade foam insulation over the entire length of the tubing and secure it with 2 hole PVC conduit straps every 3-4', just tight enough to slightly compress the foam.
    160 degree water will degrade the foam over time though.
  • nickybotz
    nickybotz Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Well it's for basboard so it's going to get pretty hot I was more concerned with noise
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,398
    Options
    Copper expands a lot with temperature, so if you're concerned about noise you should, if at all possible, suspend it from hangers of some kind which allow it to move. There are various options... You can anchor one end of a run of pipe solidly, if you like -- but the other end must be free to move at least along the length of the pipe, if not perpendicularly to the pipe. If you strap it to the joists, I guarantee it will make noise.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Leonard
    Leonard Member Posts: 903
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I've got an 60 year old house, 1.5 inch dia copper pipe loop is held by clamps with sheet metal straps nailed to side of rafters. Pipes hang ~6 inches below rafter bottom. Straps sway sideways to accommodate pipe expansion , no expansion noise what so ever.

At Tees 1/2 inch copper pipes go ~ 3ft to outside walls to feed radiators.

If you clamp pipe tightly directly to rafters you'll likely get so much creaking every heat cycle it'll drive you nuts losing sleep, till you change the design.