Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Any benefit to insulate boiler ?

Options
adasilva
adasilva Member Posts: 144
Just curious, if I were to change the insulation on my boiler from fiberglass to ceramic fiber would there be any positive end results? I have access to 1 & 2 inch thick material and would be able to install it.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Depends entirely on where the heat "lost" from the boiler goes. If it into a conditioned space, or even an unheated basement under the heated areas, then no real advantage since the "lost" heat really isn't lost (unlike insulating steam mains, by the way, where the objective isn't only to reduce heat loss, but much more importantly to reduce condensation in the main and speed steam flow to the radiators).

On the other hand, if the boiler is located where there is no reason otherwise to heat the space, then possibly there would be a benefit.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    adasilva
  • adasilva
    adasilva Member Posts: 144
    Options
    @Jamie Hall makes all the sense in the world! Think I'm just itchin to get into a project :smile:
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    edited November 2018
    Options
    > @adasilva said:
    > @Jamie Hall makes all the sense in the world! Think I'm just itchin to get into a project :smile:

That's the thing with @Jamie Hall . His advise and explanations are always stated in ways that make even a dolt like me understand.
    adasilva