Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One main vent steaming

Options
JohnCT
JohnCT Member Posts: 35
I've got two new Big Mouths and two Gorton #2 on the same antler at the end of my main. One of the Big Mouths continues to emit a little steam after the other vents have closed and seems to never fully stop. Should I just replace the vent? Anything else that could cause this?

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    What pressure is the system building to? High pressure can cause the problem. How long have you had these Big Mouths? I know B&J had a few that weren't machined properly and they replaced those that were bad. Maybe @Sailah can put a timeframe on that issue. Also, the o-ring in the Big Mouth can be replaced. The entire unit does not need to be scraped.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    When did you buy the big mouth vents. I seem to recall @Sailah mentioning some issues with the guts on those vents causing issues like this. I also personally witnessed this on one of the pre production test vents.

I'd contact Barnes and Jones about it and see what they say, it could just need a new thermostatic element and they may warranty it.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • JohnCT
    JohnCT Member Posts: 35
    Options
    The vents are brand new. Amazon will replace it with no problem (don't know if buying them from Amazon was a good idea, but my normal supply store was out of stock). The system cuts in at .5 and out at 1.5 (tested and adjusted this with my new, out of code, 0-3 PSI gauge).
    ethicalpaul
  • Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    Options
    I'm speaking as a past B&J employee...

Yes there were some issues with older vents but these have long since been cycled through. Always a chance that a vent made it past QC with some tiny issue.

I'd return through Amazon and that way you don't need to deal with shipping. Amazon is pretty good about shipping you a replacement before you've even shipped your old one back. Then they send the defective one back to factory and you don't need to deal with it.

These vents are easily capable of 25 PSIG so pressure will not affect them.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ