Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Radiator Sizing, finding an installer

tone
tone Member Posts: 4
What a cool forum. I have a lovely, dead, steam furnace. I will need to purchase a new one and then hire someone to install. (having asbestos removed right now) I wanted to double check the EDR before I purchase. I came up with 155 sq. feet about for the radiators (measurements below) so 37200....but when I look at the current furnace it is 180K...just worried I am doing something wrong. The house is 1600 sq feet, 2 floors in New England. Am I way off?

Rad 1 29.5 high, 5 col, 6 sections 20sf
Rad 2 29.5 high, 5 col, 6 sections 20sf
Rad 3 29.5 high, 5 col, 6 sections 20sf
Rad 4 19.5 high, 5 col, 16 sections, 43sf
Rad 5 19.5 high, 5 col, 15 sections, 40sf

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    By those numbers and dimensions that looks correct. To verify please post pictures of the rads and we can verify you are pulling the correct numbers.

Your current boiler being massively over sized isn't surprising to me at all, though I will say that is quite ridiculous. If your EDR calcs are correct you basically need the smallest steam boiler made by pretty much any manufacturer.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,692
    known to beat dead horses
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • tone
    KC, thanks so much. Photos are attached. These are all the radiators.

• KC_Jones
    Did you measure the height from the floor to top?

The numbers look pretty good to me, I am coming up with 22 per rad on the tall ones, but that doesn't make a big difference for boiler sizing.

You need a tiny boiler. Where are you located? We may be able to recommend someone.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • KC_Jones
    Another question, does it appear someone removed any radiators in that house? The EDR seems low for steam, but probably pretty good for the heat loss of the building. We don't see too many sized that close.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • tone
    Hi KC,

Thanks so much. I thought my math must be way off when I kept comparing it to 108K, :)

I am in South Hadley, Mass. I wanted to buy the boiler and then hire someone to install.

I measured from the bottom leg of the radiator to the top.

It does not look like any radiators were removed. The house is from the 1900s so there is just one radiator on the top floor.
  • KC_Jones
    tone said:

I am in South Hadley, Mass. I wanted to buy the boiler and then hire someone to install.

I would very strongly suggest you absolutely do not do this. If you want to hire someone hire someone. Typically speaking you are not going to get someone good/qualified to do what you want.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • KC_Jones
    For that area this is the guy you want, call him and get it taken care of. He is top notch with steam.

@Charlie from wmass
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    Rich_49
  • tone
    Thanks! Do you suggest anyone?
  • KC_Jones
    tone said:

Thanks! Do you suggest anyone?

Yes see above, we posted at the same time. lol
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Your best bet in your area is going to be @Charlie from wmass , as @KC_Jones said. He's excellent. He's also busy.

Further, I strongly -- very strongly -- recommend that you let Charles buy the boiler and install it, all as part of the deal, also as @KC_Jones also said. He'll get you every bit as good and honest a price for the boiler could -- probably better -- and it will be one he knows and prefers to work with, which makes a huge difference.

On which topic -- I'm not sure it applies to Charles, but it surely does to a lot of other people, from auto mechanics to electricians, finding someone who will install parts and equipment which the customer purchases from who knows where is pretty tough, for very good reasons.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    Thanks for the recommendations guys. To the original poster. I would not be able to do an installation until the beginning of next year and I do not install boilers or other major equipment that I do not supply.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • KC_Jones
    To the OP if you can limp along until Charlie can get to you I would go that route. Just browse through this website at all the horrible installs and you will understand why I recommend that.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40