Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sizing additional radiator

Options
Kjmass1
Kjmass1 Member Posts: 241
I have a 80sf elevated 3 season room that is unheated and I’d like to add a radiator back in to it. I calculated the load at around 2500 btu/hr @ 60F differential. Only 2 walls are exposed, and close to 50% windows/door to wall ratio.

It’s at the end of a branch so when looking on Craigslist for old radiators, what size should I look for? How much wiggle room is there between vent sizes and EDR output?

Boiler is plenty oversized as a couple radiators were removed, not in use etc.

We’re thinking of removing the entry door from our house- 32”x80” to this room as well- anyway to figure out how the 70degree air from the rest of the house would effect the load?

Electric baseboard would probably be easiest but figured tying in to steam would be cheaper in long run.

Kevin

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,338
    Options
    If your load really is only 2500 BTUh, then you are looking for a small radiator -- 10 to 20 EDR (240 BTUh/EDR) will do it nicely. Then you can control the heat output with the venting.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Kjmass1
    Kjmass1 Member Posts: 241
    Options
    > @Jamie Hall said:
    > If your load really is only 2500 BTUh, then you are looking for a small radiator -- 10 to 20 EDR (240 BTUh/EDR) will do it nicely. Then you can control the heat output with the venting.

Thanks. If it is end of the line would I want to be on the smaller or larger end...or does it have no effect?

I’ll be sure to double check my numbers but good to hear there is some wiggle room.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,304
    Options
    @Kjmass1 - You can also find used and refurbished radiators here: https://heatinghelp.com/systems-help-center/where-to-find-used-radiators/

President
    HeatingHelp.com