Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Seeking advice for teardown of Weil-McLain EGH 95

Options
rhodebump
rhodebump Member Posts: 152
edited November 2018 in Strictly Steam
Someone is selling a used Weil-McLain EGH 95 for a good price, the problem is that I have to drive 2 hours and dismantle it and haul it back (boiler is in Cleveland, I live in Pittsburgh)

I was going to bring a helper and a dolly. Is this a 2 man job, or do I need more than 2 guys?

Tools:
pipe wrenches (24 inch and smaller)
cheaters for pipe wrenches
sawzall
hammers
wrenches/sockets
chisels.
Steelers attire (just kidding)

Any tools that I am forgetting?

Thanks!

Comments

• ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 856
    Options
    At 915 pounds you better be very strong. Ideally, you do not want to take the boiler apart. In the perfect world the boiler will already be at ground level and your truck will have a power tailgate. In the real world, if you have to get the boiler from the basement to your truck, I suspect you will need at least three strong men and some rigging (straps, planks, dolly, etc.).

If you must split the boiler block, make sure you prevent the other sections from coming apart. I'll say that I am not a fan of buying used equipment (especially if it's critical like a boiler).

Is the boiler the correct size for your project? Not much savings if the boiler is oversized (or undersized) for the load.

I would inspect the boiler block closely after removing the cabinet. Look for any signs of exterior rust, the follow the rust. I would also look into the two return tappings (2.5") and see if there is any buildup/sediment inside. A thin layer (about 1/8" or less) is normal for a steam boiler that needs a good cleaning. If the sediment is any thicker, I would be nervous that the boiler may have been neglected.

Hope this helps.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    I hope you have a huge house. That's a big boiler. Do you know what your connected load is (EDR)?
    How old is the boiler? It's only a "good price" if it isn't leaking, is the right size, has several years of life left in it and you don't crack or break one of the sections dismantling it.
    Why are they selling it?
  • rhodebump
    Options
    it's for a former church ( http://TheClement.com) that had a steam boiler of a similar size. I am trying to get some heating for a maker space that I am starting up.

I did measure all the radiators but only came up with 187K BTU in radiation, but we also do not have any radiators in the basement. I intend to be adding some radiators as I find them.

I was planning on breaking the boiler down since I have to get it through a 36" doorway.

I will ask about why they are getting rid of the boiler.

nicholas bonham-carter
  • rhodebump
    Options
  • Fred
    Options
    Is that date in the lower right hand corner of the name plate the production date? If it is it looks like 8/1994. That would make it 24 years old. I'd be a little apprehensive about the cost to break down and re-install a boiler that old.
  • 1Matthias
    1Matthias Member Posts: 148
    Options
    @Fred Yep, 8-1994. 24 year old boiler.
  • rhodebump
    Options
    Yes, 24 years old is pretty old.
    But I can get it for a $700, so 10% of the cost of a new one.
    Seems to be a better deal than a used car. Appreciate the thoughts!
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    A used car you can drive around test driving.
    You can smell the trany fluid and engine oil.
    Carfax could tell you more.
    You can look under it for leaks.
    You don't have to take it out of a basement. :)

I think they would be glad to just get it out of the basement and maybe 100 bucks.
    rhodebump
  • Fred
    Options
    Everyone appreciates a good deal. Just be aware that some things aren't what they appear to be. For starters, that boiler is almost double the size you need. If it runs, without a major problem, how do you plan to tame it down to something closer to what you really need? I know you intend some new radiators, in the basement, which will likely have to be installed on the ceilings but I can't imagine you will get close to the capacity of that boiler. If you are hell bent on having it, just be careful and don't let a $700.00 boiler cost you anywhere near the price of a new one, properly sized.
    rhodebump
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    And if it fails in one day, month, year?

Also it isn't 700 no way no how. How much in fuel to drive and get it? Is all your labor currently free? If you break it down you need new gaskets, I wouldn't reuse any of the old ones, so that would mean full disassembly of the block. What if you break a section when tearing down?

And after all that work you have a 24 year old oversized boiler that may or may not last.

That ad is because they don't want to pay someone to remove it, so they are trying to find a good fish that wants a deal. You would be saving them money, if you got it for free then I'd say maybe.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    1MatthiasCanucker
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I wouldn’t spend more than $150, it’s 24 yo it’s already 2/3rds it’s life and according to Weil-McLain it’s about at its life span It’s crazy you could be doing a ton of work for possible scrap. It is extremely heavy if you can transport it together all the better but if you have to split it, your going to need new elastomer gaskets and you WILL need to hydrotest the boiler again . IMO I just wouldn’t do it.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
    1Matthias
  • rhodebump
    Options
    I love this forum! Thank you everyone for your thoughts. Too bad you weren't there when my brother brought down some "Trailer Park Boys" IPA beers, I regretted that in the morning.

Any thoughts on this instead?
    https://www.afsupply.com/green-mountain-boilers-gmgs299e-280000-btu-ng-steam-boiler-16b929903100204.html
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Options
    rhodebump said:

I love this forum! Thank you everyone for your thoughts. Too bad you weren't there when my brother brought down some "Trailer Park Boys" IPA beers, I regretted that in the morning.

Any thoughts on this instead?
    https://www.afsupply.com/green-mountain-boilers-gmgs299e-280000-btu-ng-steam-boiler-16b929903100204.html

That unfortunately is an ECR Dunkirk boiler with side steam outlets, stay away if you can. Peerless and Weil-McLain are a much better choice, with their 3” inch tappings.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
    1Matthias
  • 1Matthias
    1Matthias Member Posts: 148
    edited November 2018
    Options
    If you only have 187K btu of radiation, get a boiler that is matched to that figure. Maybe add on a little for the expansion, but not almost a full 100K, unless you are heating a barn with no windows in the Arctic.
  • Fred
    Options
    Add another 25% to 30% to your total radiator BTU's to cover the Piping and pick-up factor. The best way to match a boiler is to calculate the EDR of the radiators (187 BTU divided by 240 = EDR) and then match that number to the Sq. FT. of steam on the boiler name plate. No confusion that way!
    1Matthiasrhodebump