Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is my boiler's PSI ok?

Options
sputnik99
sputnik99 Member Posts: 9
edited November 2018 in Radiant Heating
Long time reader, first time asking for help.

My house is 2 storeys with 7 cast iron radiators and the heating system is made up of the following:
- Gas Boiler (Slantfin GG100)
- Watts ETX-30 expansion tank
- Circulator on the return side of the boiler
- Single zone

On a cold start the psi is 12 and gradually goes up to 20 and pretty much stays there throughout the heating cycle. Is this normal? My expansion tank was precharged to 12 psi so I was expecting it to stay around that range. I ran the system without the fill valve by turning on the shutoff just before it and the backflow preventer. I also made some updates by replacing the expansion tank (it was waterlogged) and the pressure relief valve recently.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Just checking, did you bleed the radiators?
    Are you sure the expansion tank is large enough?
    steve
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Going from 12 psi cold to 20 psi hot is very normal. As long as you don't exceed 25 psi, it's okay.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    delta T
  • sputnik99
    edited November 2018
    Options

Just checking, did you bleed the radiators?
    Are you sure the expansion tank is large enough?

I had bled all the radiators with the fill valve open then turned off the water feed and bled the radiator at the highest point to bring the pressure down to 12 psi.

I'm not sure if the expansion tank is too small. It's 4.7 gallons... I bought the same size as the previous tank which was in operation for 8 years.

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,525
    Options
    Nothing wrong your fine. The expansion tank will not absorb all the expanded water. It is completely normal to get some pressure rise.

Check it once in a while like a few times a year. If you under 25 as @Ironman said your fine
    delta TSuperTech
  • sputnik99
    Options
    Thanks for the replies eberatt and Ironman. I will keep an eye on the pressure.