Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What makes one thermocouple better than another?

JohnNY
JohnNY Member Posts: 3,230
A boiler company rep told me recently that Honeywell thermocouples are "about a 7 out of 10" in terms of quality. I'm more inclined to believe Honeywell makes the top-tier stuff but I don't know.
Anyone?
Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
Consulting & Troubleshooting
Heating in NYC or NJ.
Classes

Comments

• RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,480
    I prefer the Johnson Husky ones myself. They seem to last longer
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
    jfilliez
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Agreed. I always kept one box of 36” Honeywells and one, single Husky on my truck.
    Steve Minnich
  • JohnNY
    I think the rep's point was there are certain alloys the work better than others. I feel like this is a rookie question but in this season of heavy service I'm tired of getting callbacks for brand new thermocouples that have failed. It happens about half a dozen times per season.
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,966
    There might be some sort of underlying cause. Like carbonized boiler or partially blocked chimney
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,289
    Hello, I've had pretty good luck with Robertshaw. B)

Yours, Larry
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,034
    Keep in mind the type of thermocouple and its mounting bracket affect the dropout rate. A non-OEM TC could lead to someone attempting reignition while it is still hissing gas resulting in making headlines. More of a problem with hearth appliances but just sayin'. Sure most any 30 mv TC with the correct threads will work but is it the right move?
    JohnNY
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    We pretty much always use Baso Husky, 36" and sometimes 72". Always had better mv production and hold up better. Although some pilots won't accept them so we go to Honeywell then.
  • jfilliez
    jfilliez Member Posts: 1
    Been in the business for over 60 years. Have been a Free Lance Hydronic instructor for about 20 of those years. Still at it even though I retired from my business about 5 or 6 years ago.
    Been a long time fan of your site and have many of your books for reference.
    Keep up the good work.
    Jim Filliez
    Erin Holohan HaskellTinman
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    About 20 years ago I was part of a test of 100 customers systems using thermocouples. The Honeywell Q340 and the Johnson (now Baso Gas Controls LLC) Husky proved to be equally the best. Some lasted 15 years without needing changed. Some others (not named) maybe 10 years and some others failed with 1 to 2 years.

I also at one time had a restaurant service business and did a lot of pizza ovens. The Johnson K16LRA nickle plated corrosion resistant thermocouple lasted 3 years in those 24 hour a day ovens. All other lasted less than a year and some only 3 months.

A big part of thermocouple failure is environment and also OEM application.
    TinmanSuperTech
  • JohnNY
    Thanks, @Tim McElwain_4
    Great answer.
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes