Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vents to regulate temp

Options
JodiMe
JodiMe Member Posts: 74
Hey all. My daughter’s room is the furthest from the boiler, so the only time it really ever heats well is when we are pumping the early morning heat or in the early evening when we arrive home for the day. It ranges from 67-73...67 when the heat is just maintaining temp (we keep it set to 69-70) and 73 in the morning/evening push. I’ve currently got a Maid-o-mist angled vent on, size 5. Is there a way to regulate this at all to stay closer to the temp we have the main thermostat set at?

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    What is your main venting like? This sounds like a main venting issue. All radiators should be getting steam to the inlet valve at around the same time, in the whole house.

It all starts with the main venting in the basement.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    delta T1Matthias
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    First off... how's your main venting? Until that gets straight, there's no use fiddling with the radiator vents...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    delta T
  • JodiMe
    Options
    Our main venting was just replaced a couple years back and it made a big difference with even heating, generally. I thought it was pretty even until we had a baby and ended up with a monitor that also track temperature. Would a photo help? I don't really have details otherwise.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    Pictures of your main venting and knowing how long and what diameter the mains are will help us determine if you have enough venting. If you know the actual brand and model of the vents that would be a big help too. Many times we can figure from pictures, but actual data is always better.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • JodiMe
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Got it. I'll try and gather info/pics tonight. Thanks!
  • 1Matthias
    1Matthias Member Posts: 148
    Options
    I second taking a look at the main venting. Until I replaced the main vents and then balanced the radiator vents, "room temp" across the house would vary by up to 5-7 degrees. After balancing the venting, "room temp" is the same across the house within .5 of a degree. Properly sized main venting makes all the difference.
  • JodiMe
    Options
    I did a little experiment and put another thermometer in that room, but at living level (the monitor is mounted close to the ceiling) and it seems that the high temp reading is because of the location of the monitor. The other thermometer read exactly where it’s supposed to be when heating.

I think we have a bit of an insulation issue, however, as it seems to get cold quickly.

Thanks for the help, everyone.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    If you replace failed main vents with inadequately sized vents, there is still room for improvement.
    Let us see your main vents.--NBC
  • JodiMe
    edited November 2018
    Options
    It’s really difficult to get a photo of as it’s up inside the wall, but here it is. As I mentioned before it was replaced about 2 years ago. If I recall they maybe mentioned it’s a bit too small for the house but that’s all that would fit. Don’t quote me on that 100% though... Also included a pic of the boiler spec label. We’ve got 2 floors, 1375 total sq ft, 4 convection radiators on the first floor, 1 convection in the upstairs bathroom, three bedrooms that each have cast iron radiators.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    How long and what diameter mains do you have? That is a Gorton #1 in your picture. Unless your main is about 10 ft. long and 2 inches in diameter, that vent is too small.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    I would say the venting needs improvement. Those look like Gorton #1, and probably only capable of servicing 10 feet of 2 inch line.
    I would try Big Mouth vents alongside the present ones.—NBC
  • JodiMe
    Options
    I don’t know what all of that means! Ha. I’m pretty novice. But we will have someone come in and take a look at it. Generallly, our heating is pretty even but yes, could use some improvement. Thanks!