Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Plumbing new second floor radiator

David_54
David_54 Member Posts: 16
I need to install the plumbing from a second floor bedroom down to basement for a new run of Baseray baseboard rad. I have a two pipe vapor steam system. Once I get the piping down to the basement, it's easy from there. However plumbing the vertical riser and elbows into the baseboard rad is my question. Is there a flexible tube solution suitable for steam? How much wall do I need to open up (wet plaster in excellent condition, btw). How does one cross though any top plates? How would a master plumber do it?
Thanks, David

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,177
    Just to begin... are you really sure you want a baseboard? Baseboard type heating elements -- finned or unfinned -- typically do not play well with steam.

That said...

No, I know of no reasonable size flexible pipe solution for steam. You will need at least a 1 inch riser and 1 inch return for this. The return must come from the opposite end of the baseboard run to the inlet, and the baseboard must be pitched towards the return; being baseboard, I'd want to see a quarter inch per foot, although you might get away with less. Then... is the return to run in the same chase? if so, it would be better (less chance of dramatic water hammer) if that were under the inlet end. Then the return could run under the baseboard -- again, with adequate pitch -- to near the inlet, and both could drop to the basement. To get the pitch right on both the return and the baseboard, you may have to get creative and instead of using a 90 at the outlet of the trap, use two 45s, twisted slightly to produce the slightly more than 90 degree bend you will need.

I'd want to run everything exposed, above the floor. If the riser and return are to be in the wall below, you can use two 90s and nipples on each to make the turn.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • luketheplumber
    luketheplumber Member Posts: 149
    just saying you could run the steam pipes exposed on the first floor many old homes that were retrofitted with steam heat have some pipes exposed personally i like the look of exposed steam pipes here is a pic from the show rehab addict the pipes are at the brick chimney

as for the flexible pipe the short answer is no
    I just earned my GED and am looking for a apprenticeship with one of these steam gurus on this site!