Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

LOCHINVAR WHB085 MOD CON REVIEWS

Options
Ktfinch2009
Ktfinch2009 Member Posts: 22
edited November 2018 in THE MAIN WALL
Hi everyone
I'm looking for reviews on Lochinvar boiler. Looking to upgrade my conventional cast iron boiler to a lochinvar. They seem to make a nice boiler and warranty seems good as well. Any info on this brand would be very helpful before we pull the trigger. We are also looking at an HTP UFT-80w. The Lochinvar is about $ more than the HTP. This will be a 3 zone system with 1 zone dedicated to indirect water heater. Thanks

Comments

• SuperJ
    SuperJ Member Posts: 609
    Options
    Whatever you choose, the near boiler piping setup is just as important as the boiler itself. Are you getting a primary secondary pumping setup as well? Pumping away (from expansion tank/air separation/boiler? You don't want to be in the position of trying to convince a substandard contractor to do things right, find one that does things right up front. Some pictures of their previous jobs would be worth looking at.

They're both decent boilers, with the Lochinvar being the higher end boiler.

All things being equal I'd go for the Lochinvar (but I have direct experience with a bunch of Lochinvars, and none with HTP other than what I hear/read).
    Ktfinch2009
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    I think the decision comes down to local support. I hear great things about the HTP product. In my area, Lochinvar is supported very well and HTP, not so much.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Ktfinch2009
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    Need the correct size condensing gas boiler and it needs to be piped in and vented correctly.
    What is the heat exchanger and parts warranty?
    Does the contractor that is doing the installation stock parts or does the wholesaler stock them.
    Check out the Lochinvar Noble condensing combi boiler and the Noble condensing boiler only this model should be more competitive.
    Ktfinch2009
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Has there been a proper heatloss done before selecting the boiler?
    Go to SlantfiFin.com, and download the heatloss app, so you will be in the know.
    An overly large boiler will have problems with longevity.—NBC
    Ktfinch2009
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Options
    First off, agree with all the above.

Lochinvar is a great product and is generally what I stick to unless my customer requests something else. They have great support near me and I really like the product, very few problems.

That being said, the installation is more important than the brand. HTP is a good boiler as well. ANY modcon requires annual maintenance and proper sizing and installation to work properly. They are much less forgiving than a cast iron boiler when it comes to piping and sizing. Make sure the contractor you choose does a heat loss calculation on the house, (this is not just measuring up the heat emitters though that should be done as well). DO NOT let someone size the new boiler based on the size of the old boiler!!
    Ktfinch2009
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Or the radiation.
    delta TKtfinch2009