Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HOT WATER PIPE EXCESSIVE RUN LENGTH FROM EVERHOT HEATER IN STEAM BOILER...PHOTO UPDATE.

ww
ww Member Posts: 282
edited November 2018 in THE MAIN WALL
The steam boiler is on one side of house. The hotwater supply pipe from the everhot heater goes to the other side and cuts across to the sink. Then that same hot water pipe goes back to the same side of the boiler and goes upstairs through the wall. Then the pipe goes back to the other side of the boiler side of the room under the upstairs floor and to the bathroom on the second floor.

It takes a long time to get the hot water to the bathroom.

1. Why would whoever piped this do it in this way?
2. I can attach another pipe to the boiler side leading to the upstairs.
3. Will this be the best way to do it or it's just a waste of my time and will have not much effect?....alot of water seems to be wasted before the hotwater comes out.
4. Attached are photos I took yesterday...I will put some penetrating oil on fittings....they are brass pipes...do you think they can be trouble taking off...maybe use some heat first before the penetratiing oil?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    The answer to No. 1 is... who knows? Probably had something to do with what was installed when.

The other two -- you can cut a T into that output line anywhere you like, and route it however is easiest -- and shortest. And it will make quite a difference on how long it takes hot water to get to that bathroom! While you're at it, get some hot water pipe insulation (the big box stuff is good enough) and insulate all the hot water pipes. That helps, too.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    GBart
  • ww
    ww Member Posts: 282
    Thanks very much for your input...will look at the piping and see what I can do.

As far as the insulation that sounds like a good idea too. I did that with the steam pipes and it made a great difference. Thanks!
    GBart