Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Refurbishing Copper Pipe

Harold
Harold Member Posts: 249
Restoring Copper pipes. When my hydronic system was initially installed it was filled with glycol. Long story short. The glycol was defective and caused damage. Every joint made with a press crimp tool leaked. Mostly black garbage; sometimes with a nice additional colorful green. The system went from a nice Copper installation showpiece to seriously unsightly. I believe it will impact a future sale of the house. When we die (or can't live here anymore) the sale proceeds will go to charity. So I would prefer keeping it at the best value I can.

Is it possible/doable to remove the water from the system, clean all of the compression joints and solder them? I don't think solder will actually successfully wick into the junction because of the deposits. So it would probably be external surface coverage only. Will the internal gaskets make this impossible by gassing, oozing out, or other ugly behavior when heated? Is there any applicable external sealant (including solder) that would take the expansion and contraction of the Copper? I am concerned the seepage may continue.

Does it make any sense to try this? If it is possible, I would like to do it after draining the system, doing a flush, and then a refill after replacing the boiler.

Any way to do it?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Solder won't work because the joint can't be cleaned, Brazing with 15% silver would be my choice. Never done it but it should work. I would find some old PP fittings to practice on first
  • Docfletcher
    Docfletcher Member Posts: 487
    Why not remove the pressed joints and sweat new copper fittings in?
  • Harold
    edited November 2018
    Manny manny dollars.
    There are some that will have to be cut out. Still looking at the options.
  • Harold
    Looking at MAP torch. I have one I can try on some pieces and see how well it works.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    I have silver soldered over press connections, it's an ugly job because the o ring burns away during the process. Can't be healthy breathing those fumes.

I have heard of occasional press joint leaks with glycol, never seen multiple. got pics? Glycol ph tested. Which ring in the fitting?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    Have you tried a scotch brite pad and simple green? or some steel wool ?
  • Harold
    hot rod - look at the photos in my post about my final configuration.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    You'll melt the o rings and have a leak at every joint if you try to solder over them.

I'd recommend dumping the old glycol, flushing thoroughly with water, dumping that, re-filling with water and Fernox and letting it run for a couple of weeks. The dump and fill with fresh glycol. If it doesn't leak anymore, then clean the exterior of the fittings with CLR and a Scothbrite pad and rinse.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Dan Foley