Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

BTU'S of piping after boiler to rads & cellar and 2 floors need to be added to sizing of boiler?

Options
I 'am wondering in sizing new boiler that piping other then near boiler need to be added to the sq. ft and or BTU's , there is a lot of steam pipe in the cellar and up in 2 floors of 3,200 sq. ft. residence , approximately 80% is insulated. thank you in advance for everyone's help in this.

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    No it does not. The rating on the boiler already has 33% pick up factor in it. Get the radiator EDR then compare that directly to the boiler manufacturers rating.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • baerlisnice
    baerlisnice Member Posts: 11
    Options
    thank you so much for writing, the EDR is 536, i used the Burnham guide the Mega steam 513 is 513 sq.ft production , and the Megasteam 629 is that output in steam , so which one should I use?
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Your 536 EDR is only 5% larger than the 513 and given there is a 33% pickup factor I's go with the Megasteam 513. Near boiler piping is critical. make sure both steam outlets are used and I'd want a dropped header (oversized to keep the steam velocity low) as well.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    KC_Jones
  • baerlisnice
    baerlisnice Member Posts: 11
    Options
    thank you so much for writing, i'am trying to do the best possible job to get some one in here but every contractor tells me a different set up thank you for the comment on the 513, I thought the 629 would be better because 2 contractors told me you need 20% more sq. ft. to accommodate all the piping in the basement and 50 % more if they are uninsulated !!!!!
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options

thank you so much for writing, i'am trying to do the best possible job to get some one in here but every contractor tells me a different set up thank you for the comment on the 513, I thought the 629 would be better because 2 contractors told me you need 20% more sq. ft. to accommodate all the piping in the basement and 50 % more if they are uninsulated !!!!!

They are factually incorrect. If they add 20%, that would be in addition to the 33% the manufacturer has already.

Here are the numbers, for your education and so you have a rebuttal for their crazy suggestions.

Using the numbers from Burnham
    The 513 fires at 1.35 Gallons per hour
    Gross BTU input is 190,698 BTU
    Efficiency is 86% so a gross output of 190,698x.86=164,000 BTU
    Your system has 536 EDR x 240 BTU/sqft = 128,640 BTU

164,000-128,640 = 35,360 BTU for pickup or 27% pickup factor

That is enough excess to heat approximately 235 feet of un-insulated 2" pipe, that's a lot of pipe and I doubt very seriously if you have that much.

They want to add 20-50% on top of that, for what? I bet they can't tell you.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    1Matthiasethicalpaul