Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Is there a rechargeable or battery powered heater on the market?

I have a small porch, with no plumbing to it for wall mounted radiators. It's so tiny that we didn't think to put power sockets in it either! During the day, if the sun comes in it's really warm. If not, it gets quite cold and I'm worried it will get damp. I'm looking to get a small heater (fan/ceramic/oil filled/anything really!) that can be plugged in to charge up during the day and put out there at night. Is there such a thing?

Comments

• LeonardLeonard Member Posts: 827
    edited October 2018
    Lithium bats are pretty powerfull now days.
    One can power a pocket hand warmer or vest for maybe 6-12 hours.

It's maybe 10 watts ......... likely you need ~ 1,000 watts minimum to make a tiny room comfortable in winter.

Forget batteries.............can be done but lithium battery bank would be ~ 1-2 cubic feet and $$$$$$$. Think smaller version of electric car main bat. Heaters are about the fastest way to drain a battery.
  • Gaidhlig123Gaidhlig123 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much for your help!
    edited October 2018
    Hang on for the heating pros, they may have some other ideas, I'm not a heating guy, just a techie.
  • Jamie HallJamie Hall Member Posts: 10,379
    @Leonard is right -- the problem is that getting any reasonable amount of heat you are looking at upward of 1,000 watts. All night. That's a lot to ask from a battery bank. More than a steady 80 amp draw on a 12 volt battery... I suppose 3 8Ds -- the kind used to start really big diesels -- might do it. For a price...

Jamie

Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England.

Hoffman Equipped System (all original except boiler), Weil-Mclain 580, 2.75 gph Carlin, Vapourstat 0.5 -- 6.0 ounces per square inch
  • nibsnibs Member Posts: 236
    Propane is the answer, you can get ventless "blue flame" heaters, as well as small chimney type fireplaces, or if you can do a small chimney there are some nice small wood or charcoal burning options.
    edited October 2018
    Know guy in Connecticut with frequent power outages that didn't want a loud generator running. He used inverter and ~ 8 golf cart lead acid bats $$$$$$$ (in series, 48V for less IR losses) to make 120VAC for small load : just TV , computer, fridge and a few LED lights for the night. Pellet stove for heat. His battery box had ~ 4 ft x 4ft footprint in cellar.....Other people use fork lift bats $$$$$$$$$.... Neither are solution you want.

Chemical Fuels like propane, nat gas, oil have a MUCH higher energy density than bats, so take less space to store a given amount of energy.
  • GroundUpGroundUp Member Posts: 500
    I built a weird little setup for my 4Wx8Lx7H deer stand a few years back using a 12V deep cycle RV battery from the winch box on my trailer, paired with a small 80W solar panel from Northern and a 12V 235W heater made for semi sleepers and such. I obviously don't hang out in there all night, but it maintains an easy 50 degree delta without frosting up the windows like the ventless LP heaters everyone else uses while I am in there. Usually 2 hours before daylight and a good hour after sundown, have never been cold since I installed it plus it's whisper quiet. Might be out of the question for your little room but works well for mine
    edited October 2018
    One winter Had to work on steering collum of my full size sedan 1991 Chevy Caprice , in driveway. Put 2 electric 1,500 watt heaters in car. Was 28 degs F outside the car, inside car was 75 deg. (3 kw = ~ 10k BTU/hr)

To keep curing epoxy from freezing I only ran one 1,500 watt heater all night, kept it 50 degs. But car windows are very poor insulators.
  • STEVEusaPASTEVEusaPA Member Posts: 2,846
    I assume this is some sort of enclosed 3 season-type porch?
    Is it impossible to run some electric out there? Anything you buy or make has to cost more and be a probably PIA over just running some electric and plugging something in with a timer/thermostat.
    Even a small propane heater with a tank outside, Amish fireplace, etc.
    steve
  • hot_rodhot_rod Member Posts: 11,372
    How small is a small porch:) Need that info to determine how much heat needs to go into the space.

Plenty of insulated well houses, stay above freezing with just a light bulb.

See if you can get a 120V circuit out there, it will be cheaper than a Tesla Powerwall.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    The magic is in hydronics, and hydronics is in me
  • ChrisJChrisJ Member Posts: 9,661
    Whatever happened to fuel cells?

Did they die out?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    ChrisJ said:

Whatever happened to fuel cells?

Did they die out?

On no. They're still around. Not in small sizes, generally -- and certainly not cheap. And if you think old oil burners are finicky on maintenance...

Better our OP should go on line to Northern Tool and get a nice small propane ventless something, as has been suggested.
    Jamie

Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England.

Hoffman Equipped System (all original except boiler), Weil-Mclain 580, 2.75 gph Carlin, Vapourstat 0.5 -- 6.0 ounces per square inch
  • CondomanCondoman Member Posts: 55
    Look into types of heaters that campers use. I had one once that ran on Coleman fuel.
  • ChrisJChrisJ Member Posts: 9,661
    Condoman said:

Look into types of heaters that campers use. I had one once that ran on Coleman fuel.

Coleman fuel, isn't that known as "white gas" ?

It doesn't sound affordable, nor would I want one indoors.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Condoman said:

So did I Great little gadget. Coleman fuel -- yes, it is white gas -- isn't cheap. The real downside, though, is carbon monoxide... they're OK (maybe) in say an ice fishing shack or a bird blind with all kinds of ventilation, but in an enclosed porch? I wouldn't.
    Jamie

edited October 2018
    White gas ....... low octane gasoline, unleaded.
    Leonard said:

White gas ....... low octane gasoline, unleaded.

uh yeah... and no ethanol. That's the hard part.
    Jamie

• Larry WeingartenLarry Weingarten Member Posts: 1,483
    Hello, How about running a dehumidifier? Way less energy needed. B)

Yours, Larry