Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler Sizing

Options
Tony1
Tony1 Member Posts: 3
edited October 2018 in Strictly Steam

Hi all,

Hope you can help here. I've done much reading about steam heat (Dan is amazing). My old steam boiler ran dry due to a faulty low water cut-off (M&D series 67), cracked and is now leaking. I contacted two of the "best" professional plumbers in the area who "know" steam well. My cracked boiler is a Burnham with a net steam output of 447 sq ft. (I have attached an image of the specs).

I have two floors with recessed cast iron radiators which have a total of 122 sections. Converting that to (122 x 2.25) 275 EDR.

The basement calculates to about a heat loss 8,000 BTU/Hr and is heated by aluminum baseboard. From my knowledge, gained from these forums, that should not be added as it will be part of the p/u factor. I am looking at a Williamson boiler and assumed I would need a GSA-125 rated at net sq ft steam of 325.

Plumber #1 came and looked at the job, told me he will get back to me with the proper size. He got back to me that I can use a GSA-150 (sq/ft 392) but better go with a GSA-175 (sq/ft 454) as this is "what you had".

Plumber #2 called me that he discussed it with the "expert" at the supply and told me I need a GSA-250 (sq/ft 654)! When I questioned him he told me to speak to the expert. I went down to the supply house and asked him how he got to these numbers. He told me that he started with the EDR of 275 the added 100 for the risers so that's 375, now, "as a rule", he adds 33% for heat loss, and in addition, he added for the basement baseboard. Therefore he thinks I need at least a GSA-250. When I started challenging him, he told me "seems you know more about this than I do, so do as you think" (And this is the expert!!).

It is getting cold here and I need to start the job asap, I am not confident enough to argue with all these "experts". I would appreciate your thoughts and reassurance.

Thank you all!

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    You need a boiler that is as close to that 275 EDR as you can get. Everything they are proposing is way oversized. If I were you, I'd not use any of these guys. They clearly do not know what they are doing, as it relates to steam. Go to the "Find a Contractor" tab at the top of this page and plug in your Zip Code. Some excellent Steam Pros here.
    Back to your boiler, The replacement boiler will have a plate on it, just like your old one. Match that Sq. Ft. of steam to your calculated radiator EDR. That number, on the plate already factors in the 33% piping and Pick up factor (output over and above the number on that plate).
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,711
    Options
    If it was my system I'd do a GSA-100.
    The GSA-125 would be what most would install. Anything bigger is unacceptable.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Tony1 said:

Plumber #1 came and looked at the job, told me he will get back to me with the proper size. He got back to me that I can use a GSA-150 (sq/ft 392) but better go with a GSA-175 (sq/ft 454) as this is "what you had".

Plumber #2 called me that he discussed it with the "expert" at the supply and told me I need a GSA-250 (sq/ft 654)! When I questioned him he told me to speak to the expert. I went down to the supply house and asked him how he got to these numbers. He told me that he started with the EDR of 275 the added 100 for the risers so that's 375, now, "as a rule", he adds 33% for heat loss, and in addition, he added for the basement baseboard. Therefore he thinks I need at least a GSA-250. When I started challenging him, he told me "seems you know more about this than I do, so do as you think" (And this is the expert!!).

You take the EDR calculation and compare it directly to the boiler manufacturers ratings, it's really that simple add nothing, don't round up, don't add any "just in case".

The first guy is crazy.
    The second needs to quit his job. He is not an expert and should not be referred to as such. Feel free to send all these people to this website for re education.

Where are you located? We may know a competent contractor in your area.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Tony1
    Tony1 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you! I'm in NYC.
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Options
    I would install the GSA 100,000 or Weil McLain EG35. These boilers put out 258 sq ft steam and 343 when you add the 1.33 pickup factor. You need 66,000 btu of radiation and 8000 btu of pickup totaling 74,000 btu the EG35 is rated for 83,000 output. You will be fine.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......