Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

what is correct? BTU's or sq. ft. of steam to select the perfect boiler???

Options
I have had 7 contractors come out, 5 of the 7 gave me a different formula to select the best boiler, so how am I to pick? whom to trust , we are cold and must decide , as there is about a 2 week wait, i NEED the wall's readers to help in the next 24 to 48 hours ; the megasteam 513 or 629, please your advice and guidance is needed!!!!

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    Need to measure the EDR of all the rads then select the boiler based on that number. The manufacturer gives the rating of the boiler to compare directly to EDR calculation from system with nothing added.

We could walk you through the calculations for EDR if you like. It's not too hard if your radiators are fairly typical.

Did you call the contractor recommended to you in the other thread?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    baerlisnice
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    edited October 2018
    Options
    You can use BTUs or EDR. Radiators are usually rated in EDR, boilers are rated in BTUs or square feet of steam which 1 EDR=1square foot of steam =240 BTU/hr.

baerlisnice
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,627
    Options
    Given the prevalence of over sizing to a ludicrous degree, I'd go through your list of quotes from smallest to largest. Ask for pics of a few of their last few installs. Are any of them listed on the Find a Contractor link?
    baerlisnice
  • brandonf
    brandonf Member Posts: 205
    Options
    All my research as a handy home owner has made me believe you have to size the boiler to the radiation. Period. And if you want to know if your system is oversized, calling someone with a fancy computer and a CAD program to calculate the heat loss of your dwelling. I would prefer to have as much info on my house and system to know which way to go. The other part of the decision process is finding a contractor that does amazing work..... On this forum the pictures are literally worth a thousand words. Best of luck.
    Homeowner, Entrepreneur, Mechanic, Electrician,

"The toes you step on today are connected to the butt you'll have to kiss tomorrow". ---Vincent "Buddy" Cianci