Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Identify radiator valve

Options
Now that the heating started kicking in at the apartment building I've moved into this summer, one of the radiators isn't heating up at all. Checked the shutoff valve at the incoming pipe and the fact that the stem isn't visible suggests that the valve is closed. Tried turning the valve handle but it doesn't move in either direction at all. The valve has a component right below the stem which I've not encountered before (photo attached), perhaps a lock of some kind to prevent unauthorized valve turning? Or is that something else and the valve is just seized? Before I approach the building I thought I'd exhaust my options. Your thoughts are appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,317
    Options
    The gizmo right below the valve handle is an adjustable orifice which is set to the size of the radiation.

The fact that the handle doesn't turn in either direction suggests that it is stuck. It should turn counterclockwise to open, but sometimes you can get them free by turning (or trying to!) both ways with some force -- back and forth. Sometimes not...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • gstructure
    gstructure Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for the info Jamie! I'll try some force and if it doesn't budge will call it quits - let the super deal with it.