Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

recessed steam radiator seals/washers

Options
I have an old Victorian house in Brooklyn and I'm trying to locate new gasket/seal/washer that connects the radiator to the wall plate at the pipe junction. They seem to be about 2" round, needs 4. None of the local plumbing supply stores have them.
Thanks, Jim

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Can you post a picture of that connection and the radiator? Most radiators are connected to a valve and, if a two pipe system, a trap at the other end.
  • hamcrest
    hamcrest Member Posts: 4
    Options
    The 2 gaskets are visible here
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    That's not a wall plate. That is actually the end plate that is part of the actual radiator. Do you see any name on that radiator? If you can find a name, you can probably get replacement press nipples. Do they appear to be a composite material or a metal/brass material?
    I see one bolt/nut at the top. Is there one at the bottom too? Those would allow you to draw the radiator and end plate together a little tighter and that may stop the leak, but be careful not to over tighten them and crack the cast iron.
  • hamcrest
    Options
    Thanks, Fred. Can't find a name on it, maybe I'll look for one on a less rusty piece, there's 4 more in the house.
  • hamcrest
    Options
    Was there a particular manufacturer in those days?
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    By the time you’re done, you’ll have wished you just got a new convector @hamcrest...just get a new convector.
    1Matthias