Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Short Cycling/Thermostat Anticipator

bubbagump
bubbagump Member Posts: 3
Hello-

I am a bit confused when it comes to setting the thermostat anticipator. The boiler seems to be cycling quite often, so thought I would verify the thermostat anticipator(s) are set properly. Basically- the thermostat calls for heat, the boiler fires up, it typically will hit the 190 hi-temp, and get shutdown by the Hydrostat. Then once it levels off, if room is still calling for heat, it fires back up again. Rinse, repeat. I asked the guy that installed the unit about it and he ensures me that these new boilers run more often because they heat less water, so it is normal behavior. But something seems off to me.

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated. I am confused by the thermostat instructions to set the heat anticipator to match the main control of the system. Would the main control be considered the zone valves (.32 Amps), or the Hydrostat connected to the boiler (instructions say to set thermostat Heat Anticipator to .2)...

Here are other specifics-

-3,000 Sq. Foot home
-140,000 BTU Pure Pro Boiler (Oil) Hot Water
-Reillo Burner
-Hydrostat 3250 Plus
-4 Zone house
-Honeywell T87F Thermostats

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,105
    That isn't your thermostat. That's the boiler making more heat than it can get rid of. Perhaps not enough radiation. Perhaps not enough flow through the boiler. Perhaps... but it's not the thermostat.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    SuperJ
  • SuperJ
    SuperJ Member Posts: 609
    edited October 2018
    Make sure your rad valves are open and your system free of air. The anticipator has nothing to do with your boiler hitting 190f too quickly. Like Jamie said, the system is not rejecting heat as fast as the boiler is producing heat, hence the climbing temperature. Sounds like your boiler might be oversized for the load. You have 4 zones, perhaps you need to revisit which zones are allowed to fire up the boiler when they call individually.
  • bubbagump
    bubbagump Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2018
    Thanks guys, sounds like it may be time to call in the professionals. So i am guessing it is not normal/good for a boiler to constantly be hitting the high temp cutoff point...