Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant Wall Ideas

Options
KLaugh
KLaugh Member Posts: 12
I am trying to become informed on designing and installing a Hydronic Radiant system in a new construction house. I have seen it mentioned several times that a radiant wall on posts. I have been studying Modern Hydronic Heating by John Siegenthaler. He shows a way to install a radiant wall and I have no problem understanding that. I am looking for other options on getting the same results.
I saw that @Hotrod had some creative ideas he posted. How creative have you seen? I am looking for ideas that will keep someone from driving nails into heating tubing and stand out.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,131
    Options
    keeping the tube in the lower 3 feet of wall should keep nails out in the future

Getting sheetrock or wood over the tube will take care

I’ve taken a roll of butcher paper add traced all the tube runs to have a record for future

Infrared cameras like the iphone adapter type are getting very inexpensive to see exactly where each tube and loop end is
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    I have tubing in some walls that runs vertically. It crosses over thru holes drilled in the center of studs.
    If some picture/mirror hanging person is looking for a stud, they could nail thru a tube with the horizontal installation; less chance of it with vertical tubing.

Any nail driver just has to be informed that there is "plumbing" just behind the sheetrock or in the concrete floor.

I now have a FLIR TG165 gun (about $350...much less than the sewing machines we have in the basement BTW ;) )that shows every tubing loop.
    Even buried in concrete floors and below floor tile installed on top of 1 1/4" of wood.
    You can also see where your dog was laying 10 minutes ago.
  • KLaugh
    KLaugh Member Posts: 12
    Options
    That is not my wall. I was interested in other ways to do a radiant wall. Something like these. Something that is attractive. I think either would be able to mount on a wall. Is this a bad idea?

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    I did a couple of walls where you put continuous plywood over insulation. You then use strips of plywood and and joist track over snapped over the tubing with the flat part towards the room. The joist track protects the tubing and does a great job transferring the heat.
    I have a picture somewhere, just pretty deep in the archives :/
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    KLaugh
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,131
    Options
    Zehnder makes all sorts of panel rads for ceilings, walls, cabinets, used for heating and cooling if you want a finished, ready to install product.

http://zehnder-rittling.com/downloads/radiant-ceiling-systems/rittling-linear-radiant-ceiling-panels/
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,290
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Hello, I put radiant in my walls and at each vertical tube, put dark plugs in the wood trim, top and bottom. Have yet to put a nail through a tube 😉

Yours, Larry
    KLaugh