Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

First winter start with a new boiler

NYCDave
NYCDave Member Posts: 78
Hi everybody, we had a new steam boiler installed last winter, and in the spring we simply turned the thermostat off. The burner has not been on since then. Anything I should think about or do before we turn on the thermostat and start the boiler again for this coming winter? Our old oil-fired burner would run for a bit every week in the summer and the maintenance guys said this kept it in good shape, but I know nothing about starting up a gas-fired boiler after a long layoff. Any insights much appreciated.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Check th water level, if this is steam, or the pressure for hot water, and your fuel level -- and turn it on. You might want to have someone come by and clean oil filters and all that some time...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    As it was new and is gas and you just shut it off you should be good to go.

Keep and eye on the water level, run it and keep an eye on it for anything unusual . If it was installed properly you should be ok. Did the installer skim the boiler.
  • amp3d
    amp3d Member Posts: 11
    Hi, if this is the first time using a newly installed boiler, you may have to flush and skim the boiler due to oils from the installation.
    I learned this the hard way my first winter after a gas conversion. It smelled everywhere, some radiators were spitting up brown water, and the water was very brown.