Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Air Vent Sizing Help

Options
Looking to replace all my steam air vents with Gorton vents before the cold weather sets in. I could use some help picking the correct size air vents. Here's some info:

Building:
- Single pipe system
- Apartment building - I live on the 4th floor (top floor). I do not have control over radiators/vents elsewhere in the building, just my own apartment.

Radiators/Heat pipes (and current setup):
3 - 2.5" diameter heat pipes (hoffman 40/41)
1 - 9" x 22" x 5" radiator (SVA Watts?)
1 - 37" x 27" x 8" radiator (hoffman 40)

Comments

• tkos115
    tkos115 Member Posts: 94
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I'm not an expert on this by any means but I know Gorton valves are generally a good rated valve. I also just purchased all new ones for my house not long ago. If you go on their website or do a Google search for a gorton steam valve sizing chart you should be able to figure it our from there. My guess is that you will need size C or D valves since you are farther from the boiler.

https://www.gorton-valves.com/products

That should be the link to the sizing chart.

• luketheplumber
    luketheplumber Member Posts: 149
    Options
    what is wrong with your current vents are they wiseling or some rads not heating up? or are some just plain failing
    I just earned my GED and am looking for a apprenticeship with one of these steam gurus on this site!
  • captainpork
    captainpork Member Posts: 5
    Options

what is wrong with your current vents are they wiseling or some rads not heating up? or are some just plain failing

1 vent is completely broken, constantly shooting out steam, couple other ones are spitting water. Tried cleaning it with hot vinegar but no luck. Radiators heat fine, figured I just replace all of them since they're quite old.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    I would suggest you need to find out what pressure the system is running at before spending money on vents. If they are running the system too high (very common) then your pretty new vents won't last very long and may not perform any different.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    1Matthias
  • captainpork
    Options
    No one knows the PSI, they have a boiler guy come sometimes to fix things. Either way I'll need vents for the winter season. I'm not quite sure the difference between a gorton C or D for my purposes. Installing a D would make my radiator heat up more quickly?
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Installing a low pressure gauge (0-3 psi) would show you the exact pressure, and you will probably find out it is too high, breaking vents, and wasting fuel.—NBC
    branimal
  • captainpork
    Options
    Again, like i said, im in an apartment building, i dont really have any control over any of the system. Just want to replace my vents.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    C and D vents on a radiator may vent too fast. Radiator venting is more a "Trial and error" thing. If the vent is too fast, steam will race across the top or bottom of the radiator and close the vent, leaving you cold. You may want to get an adjustable vent, like the Hoffman 1A or the Vent-Rite #1. That way you can adjust them to get the venting where you need it. Having said that, and I know you have no control over the system, but if it is running at high pressures, radiator venting isn't going to fix the problem, at least not for very long.
  • captainpork
    Options
    My existing vents worked fine over the last 5 years. I think it's just failure to due to wear and tear. I'd like to replace them with similar valves but would like to switch to gorton. Is that doable? I dont really have any more info about my steam system and can't make any changes as I don't have control of the building.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,318
    Options
    I rather like @Fred 's recommendation of adjustable vents -- since you have no control over anything else. I wouldn't expect them to last much longer than the old one, though, since I also expect (from your description of their behavior) that you system is running at much too high a pressure -- but, as you say, not much you can do about that.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    1Matthias
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    If your not sure what vent rate you need on each radiator just buy some Maid O Mist 5L's, they come with 5 different orifices.

https://www.amazon.com/OMIST-0220-5L-Angle-Steam-Valve/dp/B003DV3AGE Be careful other listings are asking $35 each for these vents.

Start with the smallest orifice on each vent and slowly increase the size of orifice an radiators that don't heat fast enough.

I've had them on my radiators for 3 tears and no problems with their reliability.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • gfrbrookline
    gfrbrookline Member Posts: 753
    Options
    I agree with BobC balance the system with much less costly MoM. If the plastic float fails, replace it with the came size Gorton, much more reliable over the long term.

Venting can be trial and error, MoM's are a much more cost effective option to dial everything in.