Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Primary secondary

Options
Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
I know I best this subject to death but I finally did the job. I have a cast iron boiler 75,000 btu in. I divided the home into 3 zones, 1 back dinning room and tv room & small bedroom 2. Living room and master bedroom. 3 radiant floor in small bathroom and kitchen. The hard part was making sure the boiler doesn’t condense. I’m not worried to much about short cycling but I know I should. So I did I primary secondary looping.
Here are some pics

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Good.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    nice pipe fitting! Why so many up and downs? :)
    You might need a small vent up by those close tees, you could trap a bubble there.
    I assume there is a pump on the boiler loop, hard to see in the shadow.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Snowmelt
    Options
    Ups and downs, there was a 1-1/4 x 24 inch pipe on the supply, all I did was added a tee then a close nipple then a tee. I has 12 straight pipe on the supply & 8 inch on the return of the loop. The reason I came down a little bit on the supply and return is because it was too high, I would have to get a step ladder just to bleed the system out or to change the pump. I do like the black pipe instead of copper. Original boiler didn’t even have a back flow. Just a pressure reducer.
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    With your primary loop going up like that, and then down before it ever gets to the air vent, you are going to have a problem keeping air out of the top of the loop. You would have been a lot better off putting the air vent on the highest point there.
    Rick
  • Snowmelt
    Options
    I understand , on a good note I had the radiant floor heat on only and my return temp was 155.