Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Question About Glycol

Options
I have an old house that has a natural gas boiler with a closed loop water system for heat. I live in Southern Oregon where freeze protection is of low concern. Can I get away with refilling the system with water and inhibitor mix with no glycol in the system? It would obviously save me a lot of money. Thanks. My system size is roughly 160 gallons if that impacts your decision. Thanks again.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Sure, any outside or exposed piping? Use glycol only when absolutely needed, like snowmelt, solar, any outdoor application, or homes left un-occupied during winter months possibly.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    kcopp
  • grahamjohnson54
    Options
    No outdoor piping and never unattended. Awesome thanks.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    edited September 2018
    Options
    do you have a service provider who knows your system inside and out? I'd ask him(her).. just saying...
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    Why was the glycol in it originally?
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,549
    Options
    What @Solid_Fuel_Man said would be my question
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Options
    If freezing is not an issue, no glycol. if there is not constant make up water inhibitors may not be needed. There are many commercially available inhibitors that could work for you. Silver King is one brand. Just be sure they are environmentally friendly. Remember, whatever you put in there, will eventually need to come out.