Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat pumps

I am a homeowner in southern Connecticut, and interested anyone's experience with the Chilltrix systems. A search of the web reveals little user experience information. Also, anyone with experience with the various mini splits and doing a Manual J is my area wants to do some consulting or propose alternatives, I'm interested in hearing from you.

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,762
    Why water?

In commercial buildings they work fine, in residential i cant justify the added costs!

As far as Manual "J" there are sites that you supply the data and they run the #'s
  • Jelavich
    Jelavich Member Posts: 2
    Why water? Because it is actually a chiller.

What is the added cost that you speak of? One unit that heats and cools, is less than 2 separate units + ducting or plumbing for my situation.

How do I know how accurate my online Manual J calculations are, given I have no real knowledge in this area.
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    The devil is most definitely in the details when it comes to a heat loss calculation. Slantfin has one that you could try, it comes in a little high but it's better than a guess. A sanity check for the calculation is to divide you sq. footage by the total btu/hr that you come up with. When it starts to climb over 30 btu/hr per sq. ft, you probably could tighten up the inputs you use. Unless you live in a tent in Nunavut ;)
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    Chilled water may the way of the future for all buildings, CO2 is going to be the new refrigerant and it can't be a split system, it's just not practical.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,762
    Jelavich said:

Why water? Because it is actually a chiller.

What is the added cost that you speak of? One unit that heats and cools, is less than 2 separate units + ducting or plumbing for my situation.

How do I know how accurate my online Manual J calculations are, given I have no real knowledge in this area.

The issue with chilled water is the insulation on the piping. 1" thick wall and NO, ZERO, air leaks. You cant have one opening where moisture can get into the line and condense!
    Its used in commercial buildings because its not practical to run refrigeration tubing for miles. (VRF Systems are changing that). In a residence its just not worth the problems.
    CanuckerHVACNUT
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    I am not familiar with Chilltrix. In general, chilled water lines will sweat if not insulated properly. More importantly, you could get a small leak in an inaccessible area and end up with black mold and rot. The pumps used to circulate the chilled and /or condensor water are an extra electrical load. If a water cooled condenser, either a cooling tower is called for or a fresh water loop using city water or well water. Both can be more expensive and wells have their own issues. Depending on the system type, water treatment may be needed along with routine water analysis. Glycol is a must for cold weather operation and propylene must be used as it is more environmentally friendly. Arkla/Servel had a gas fired adsorption chiller that used ammonia as the refrigerant. All of this adds to cost and possible environmental problems.