Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to adjust flow?

Options
Hello all,
I recently purchased a 20yr old home with infloor radiant (hw) heat. One zone includes the bedroom and the bathroom. I’d like to decrease the flow to the bedroom. See the attached pic of the valve on the manifold. I’m not familiar with it; can anyone tell me how to adjust the flow? I’m not sure if it’s like a tap that needs multiple turns, or if a 90 degree rotation will do the trick. Anyone familiar with this? Any help is very appreciated!

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,132
    Options
    it looks like a mini ball valve with a slot for adjusting. Hard to know for sure without looking inside.

If it doesn't turn easily, consider replacing it with a better balancing valve, or flow setter with window to read gpm.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    gordonbone
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Why do you need to reduce flow?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • gordonbone
    gordonbone Member Posts: 3
    Options
    If it’s a ball valve, should a 90 degree rotation be full on or off?

The reason I want to reduce the flow is that the room it serves is getting too warm, but there are other rooms in the same zone that are not warm enough. (I don’t think the zones were well thought-out)
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,132
    Options
    ball valves are usually 1/4 turn. When the handle is inline with the valve it should be full open. Crosswise handle should be full off.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Can you post some pics from a little farther back that show the entire piping arrangement?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Check and see whether your thermostat is configured for hot water heat. That setting can have a big impact on comfort levels. Is there an outdoor reset function in the system?
    Are you using any temperature setbacks in this infloor radiant system.
    Any flow change in any of the loops is bound to have some effects in the other loops, which is why the use of a flow setter, with flow metering dials is recommended.—NBC
    gordonbone