Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit

Fusible Link Valve

beanbean Posts: 31Member
What is a Fusible Link Valve? How does it operate?


  • Jamie HallJamie Hall Posts: 10,145Member
    Any of a variety of valves, usually for oil but sometimes for gas which contains a fusible link and a spring. The fusible link is a low melting point alloy, chosen to melt at a certain temperature, depending on the application. The link is arranged -- in the variety I suspect you are enquiring about -- so that it holds a valve in the oil line open against the force of a spring. If the temperature gets too high, the link melts and the spring shuts the valve.

    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England.

    Hoffman Equipped System (all original except boiler), Weil-Mclain 580, 2.75 gph Carlin, Vapourstat 0.5 -- 6.0 ounces per square inch
  • STEVEusaPASTEVEusaPA Posts: 2,772Member
    Which one specifically are you talking about? There is suppose to be one (typically called a firomatic) at the burner and one at the oil tank, for the oil lines, and there should be one above the heating appliance in series electrically with the main shut-off to the system (burner).
Sign In or Register to comment.


It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!