Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

initial boiler fill

Thomb
Thomb Member Posts: 15
Hi I finished assembly on a Burnham 5006b steam boiler filled it with water to the top and pressure tested it ,with no leaks and then drained it .Now I finished all the piping and filled it again to the normal water level and have no leaks so I drained it again . It is not completely empty, and I am not going to be able to run the system up to 180 degrees for a few weeks or so. Will the corrosive gases in the water start to damage the boiler ? is there anything I can do to stop this from happening ? can I add something to the water that's in it now ?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    Thomb said:

...Will the corrosive gases in the water start to damage the boiler ? is there anything I can do to stop this from happening ? can I add something to the water that's in it now ?

Yes, if you are a fanatic, there will be a small amount of corrosion. Not enough to worry about. I wouldn't add anything to the water and I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to be a little more cautious, you can check the pH of the water that's in there and, if needed, there are several pH adjustment chemicals (such as baking soda). Ideally the pH will be between 7 and 8.

A longer answer -- yes, there are corrosion inhibitors which can be added either to the water (if the boiler is filled) or for use when the boiler is completely drained. They are astonishingly toxic, and I can't recommend them for home use.

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England