Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

super washing soda for PH

Options
is Arm N Hammer supper Washing soda a simple way to raise PH in cast iron boiler,
Thought I read that somewhere but cant find the info.
Basically I clean a boiler out and skim it annually with super washing soda, I find at return visit for the maintenance the make-up water and the boiler are about 7 to 7.2ph,
I'm going to want to see boiler ph closer to about 8.5, I believe super washing soda will help raise it a bit but I dont know if there is anything in that stuff that may cause damage to the cast iron sections.

Comments

• Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    Options
    I can't speak to any damages or difficulty but if it is pure baking soda, your pH will never reach higher than 8, no matter the amount you add
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    Easiest way is to put Steamaster tablets in the boiler. Or you can use TSP if you can get it.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• aircooled81
    aircooled81 Member Posts: 205
    Options
    Thanks for the replys, I dont think they sell TSP in california but I'll check next time I'm at a big box.

Not pure baking soda,
    " Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (aka sodium carbonate, SAL soda, or soda ash), a naturally occurring alkaline mineral that's related to baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) but packs more of a punch with a pH of 11"
    I'm not certain this is best due to the carbonate and potential for creating carbonic acid.
    I'll try baking soda instead, obviously dont want to overdue it and have to drain and refill, any ideas on how much to add based on EDR or boiler water volume? 8ph is good enough for me, 8.5 would have been best but 8 is way way way better than 7!

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    The carbonate in that soda won't create carbonic acid -- not at that pH. What it will do is create scale...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Canucker
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Peerless Boiler suggests using Arm and Hammer washing soda for the initial cleaning of a boiler, and then flushing it out.--NBC
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options
    imagine California outlawing TSP............somehow not a surprise!!!
  • kevink1955
    kevink1955 Member Posts: 88
    Options
    I thought it was outlawed just about everywhere years ago. only been able to find the weaker substitutes in NY for years now
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options
    Still have in the peoples Republic of Massachusetts
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    @EBEBRATT-Ed The boxes I see for sale here are tiny and way over priced. Years ago you just went into a hardware store and they sold it to you by the bag from an open drum.
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options

Still have in the peoples Republic of Massachusetts

The P in TSP was removed 20 years ago, it is now phosphate free. A least on the consumer shelves.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream