Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lochinvar Service instructions not clear.

Options
schreib
schreib Member Posts: 130
edited August 2018 in THE MAIN WALL
I am planning to clean the Lochinvar boiler WH55 heat exchanger soon. Instructions read like there is NOTHING to pulling off the heat exchanger head above the boiler. Says, just remove the screws and pull the cover off. BUT: the inducer blower is mounted on top of the cover and it is hard mounted to the gas valve(two screws) which is connected to 1/2" black iron piping, hard mounted. It appears after removing the four screws from the cover I COULD remove the two screws mounting the inducer to top of gas valve and the PVC unions feeding the inducer. . . Is all this really what is meant by Lochinvar by "remove the cover"?! Even after loosening the blower it is a TIGHT fit, not very easy to move it away!

Never mind folks. I found a video for service techs that explains all in detail on the Lochinvar website! You have to remove the inducer first, small detail their service manual leaves out.

Comments

• DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Options
    Welcome to our world, :)
    D
    ratio
  • schreib
    schreib Member Posts: 130
    edited August 2018
    Options
    yeah, well here's the further irony:
    -- The video explained how to remove the inducer blower from the gas valve and from the top of access cover to allow cover removal. The blower on MY WH55 could NOT be removed because the farthest rear screw runs up against the blower body before it can be removed. This necessitates complete removal of the entire gas valve and venturi, the cast elbow on the valve, and the 2" PVC combustion air elbow to the blower!
    -- the blower remains ON the cover after removing the gas valve assembly. The blower and cover come out vertically. No other way!
    So the website video, accessible only for technicians, supposedly, is wrong. Unreal.

I came up with my own process to remove the "access cover". Do you folks think I should place it on this website somehow?
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    The way you described is how I've done it from Day 1. It's also much, much easier if you remove the right side panel of the boiler jacket. Just a few screws and it's out.
    Steve Minnich
    STEVEusaPADZoro
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    The first time or two is a pain until you get your plan of attack down. Another tip if you’re interested, keep a magnetic tray on hand for all those specialty, hard to find screws.
    Steve Minnich
    DZoroGBart