Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Chilled Water Pump Station

Options
Dan Foley
Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,258
We replaced the chilled water pump station in a 52-unit apartment building in Arlington, VA.

One of the pumps had failed and the piping was rotted out and leaking. It was time to replace this.

Here are the before pictures:

Comments

• Dan Foley
    Options
    Poppy and his crew spent close to a week piping in the replacement Taco pump station.
  • Dan Foley
    Options
    We finished this up in May and started it up in early June.

FYI - Poppy is retiring on August 31 and moving back to his home country, Bosnia. He has worked with me for close to 20 years. When I hired him in 1999 he could not speak English and did not know which end of the wrench to grab ahold of.

He went to night school to learn English and finished first in his apprenticeship class. He is now my right hand man and runs my biggest, most complicated jobs. We will miss him.
    Rich_49
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,260
    Options
    Looks oversized for 52 unit residence? Do you know design gpm & head?
  • Dan Foley
    Options
    60-ton chiller. 46 ft. Head
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options
    Everyone does thing differently. I would have used a flanged CI reducer on the discharge instead of the PP reducers. Also why the Y strainer? is their not a strainer in the suction diff? Nice looking job, solid and straight.

Congratulations to Poppy on retirement. I am counting the months myself...less than a year.
    Dan Foley
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    My best wishes to Poppy, I hope he has a well deserved retirement. I think you both learned a great deal while he was on the team.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Dan Foley
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,260
    Options
    Dan Foley said:

60-ton chiller. 46 ft. Head

Still looks oversized? Why two pumps? Why such a big expansion tank? I know it's none of our business. At least replacement wasn't a variable speed to further muddy the waters.
  • Dan Foley
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Not oversized. One pump is a back up/ Standby. Pumps are rotated for even wear. Flow is adjustable with VFD's.
  • Mike_Sheppard
    Mike_Sheppard Member Posts: 696
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Great looking job, Dan! I’m always surprised to see mechanicals rooms in Arlington that I’m not familiar with! Lol

How much commercial work do you guys do?
    Never stop learning.
  • Dan Foley
    Options
    @ Ed. Yes, there are many ways to do a job. I like your idea of the CI flanged reducer.

@ Hot Rod. Yes, we both gained from the experience.

@ Mike. Maybe 20% of our work is commercial. Mostly boiler work with some rooftop units and chiller work mixed in.

This one was on N Meade St. near Rt. 50, directly across the street from the Iwo Jima Memorial.
  • Mike_Sheppard
    Mike_Sheppard Member Posts: 696
    Options
    @Dan Foley I work at 1310 N Meade right next to that several times a year. Never been in that one though. Great area. I think I’ve worked in about every one of those new buildings across route 50 from there. Great looking work as always.
    Never stop learning.
    Dan Foley