Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Work clothes

Tinman
Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
Most of my career I've worn company t-shirts in the mechanical rooms and company golf shirts for estimates. With a couple of new jobs looming, I'm pretty sure I'm required to wear shirts with more buttons than I'm used to. I don't want to sound like a knuckle dragging Neanderthal but I honestly don't know which brand or type is suited for 50% office time and 50% site visit/mechanical room visit to go with? Any suggestions? I'm not an easy fit, probably typical in our case. Big neck, big shoulders. Shirt has to be rugged, not something worn with a suit jacket.

I'm sticking with my Red Wing boots and Lee Dungarees.

Thanks in advance.
Steve Minnich

Comments

• gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Dickies shirts
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

Tinman
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    Business dress is getting pretty casual these days. Carhart , Duluth have business cas stuff. Golf shirts in summer button long sleeves in winter seem common
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    TinmanCanucker
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Hi, I like chambray shirts. That way you will fit in, whether in the living room, boiler room or prison. :o

Yours, Larry

Tinmanrick in Alaska
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    I love the carhart shirts, a little on the pricey side, but they do last and hole up well
    Tinman
  • Tinman
    @Larry Weingarten - Shawshank is in my top 5 movies so that's cool. Steve McQueen throwing the ball against the wall in The Great Escape. Maybe I'll carry around my old baseball glove : )
    Steve Minnich
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022

@Larry Weingarten - Shawshank is in my top 5 movies so that's cool. Steve McQueen throwing the ball against the wall in The Great Escape. Maybe I'll carry around my old baseball glove : )

Maybe the company supplies logo-ed shirts, many do?

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Tinman
    I don’t think so? I’ve known some of the people for a while and have only seen them in biz casual. Same goes for the day when I interviewed.

Also, the average age appeared to be half of mine. Once everyone finds out how poor my hearing is, it won’t be long till I’m referred to as “ the old guy”.
    Steve Minnich
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    I'll just say, "The old guy who knows stuff ". ;)
    Yours, Larry
    Tinman
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    I always say "Old Guy", with capital letters. Ya gotta earn that title.
    Tinman
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
    I wear my black Polo for estimates and meetings like the controls guys do. The daily T shirt doesn't quite cut the mustard IMO. Still carpenter jeans and boots to keep the image up, but the "professional" dirtball seems to work well
    Tinman
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Of course I like the red Jacket and yellow golf shirt slightly undone with the broad brim cap.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B61_5sRoBI
    CLamb
  • leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,095
    Duluth Trading dress shirts in solid colors and plaid multi color styles and dress cargo pants of which there are several colors.
    Tinman
  • Tinman
    I went to Duluth Trading today. Pricey but worth it. A shirt labeled XL is truly XL. I can reach for a pen without shredding it to pieces. Thanks.
    Steve Minnich
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766

I don’t think so? I’ve known some of the people for a while and have only seen them in biz casual. Same goes for the day when I interviewed.

Also, the average age appeared to be half of mine. Once everyone finds out how poor my hearing is, it won’t be long till I’m referred to as “ the old guy”.

What ?
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    Tinman
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    Hmmm I wear logo’d t shirts, don’t change my wardrobe for sales vs work. Things are working well here.

Gary
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com